HALLOWEEN

(The events of this chapter take place sometime before you and Genji rescue Cara and is not really a main part of the story.)

Standing on my tippy toes, I hooked a plastic pumpkin decoration up on a hook on the edge of my roof. The ladder I was standing on top of was wobbling under my weight, scaring me half to death, but it was worth it.

Once the pumpkin was in place, I let go and let out a sigh of relief, smiling proudly at the evil grin on its orange surface shooting daggers into my eyes.

Hanamura was renowned for its Halloween celebrations. People from all over the world usually traveled to our small town just to get a taste of its spoopy spirit. 

And it wasn't in vain. Everywhere you looked, orange stream lights, multiple plastic decorations and cobwebs, and people dressed up in costumes long before the day even came was a common sight.

If there was ever such thing as a Halloween town, this was it. And my, was it lively this time of year.

From where I was standing, I could already hear the excited chatter of the all the kids as they ran around gleefully, awaiting nightfall so they could trick or treat. Faint Halloween classics like Thriller and Ghostbusters echoed faintly from the park, meaning festivities were at their peak.

I still had to get into my costume for tonight before the kids started knocking on doors, so I tried to hurry finishing up the rest of the last-minute decorations.

I stepped down absentmindedly, and realized, painfully, that I had missed the rung I was supposed to step on. I let out a high-pitched scream, falling from the ladder, and braced myself for impact with the cold ground.

I never got to it. Instead, I fell, rather snugly, into a pair or arms. I opened my eyes, kind of assuming I was dead, but then spotted that familiar head of green hair.

But something was different. His face was a ghastly white, his teeth were sharp and pointed at the canines, and the skin around his normally dark eyes were blackened with eye shadow. 

His red lips twisted into a snarl and his left eyebrow raised coyly as he playfully growled at me, spinning me around in his arms in a joking manner. I smacked his chest, rolling my eyes. 

"So clumsy, human."

"You can put me down now, Genji. And god, you look ridiculous."

"Genji? Vat is that? I am Dracula, and I've come to suck your blood!"

"Mmhmm. Put me down."

His eyes flickered down to my exposed neck, and his tongue swept over his lips in a seemingly hungry kind of way. The makeup for his costume seemed so realistic, I couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

I wriggled in his arms. "Genji!"

"I told you, human! I am- AUGH!"

I only needed to poke him in the side once, and he faltered, stunned. I had found out that he was incredibly ticklish there a few days ago, and hadn't let him forget that I had an advantage ever since.

Cackling evilly, I escaped his arms and ran away from him, trying to create some distance in mock fear. "Some Dracula you are!" I yelled behind me cockily.

Recovering from the poke, Genji whipped his cape around in front of his face, narrowing his eyes like the vampires in the old black and white movies. Jesus, that was some cringe.

"Vhy do you run?  Vhen you know the outcome already?"

To my horror, he started chasing me around my front yard. Overcome with a kind of childish fear, I screamed loudly whilst laughing to myself, alerting the whole neighborhood to my dilemma.