Chapter Seventeen

Genji choked on whatever he was drinking.

Reina pointed out a few people, telling me their names as she went along, like she was teaching me something important. I nodded in understanding, as some people waved at me or gave me a small greeting. Most just went back to what they were doing.

"Hey, (y/n)... you're the girl tutoring my man Genji over here, eh?" some random guy called out, punching Genji lightly on the shoulder. 

It was too much work to explain that I had stopped for the time being, so I only nodded yes as my response. 

"Holy shit! Sit down here, babe, we have a lot to talk about!" he called over to me with a drunken laugh, patting the seat next to him with a crooked smile.

Reina pouted and crossed her arms. "What about me, Noru?" she whined like a child.

The guy, Noru I guess, patted his lap, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. "You can sit on me, if you want, baby cakes," he responded.

Almost too gleefully, Reina left my side and straddled Noru, as if she wanted all the attention. Noru pecked her lips to satisfy her but then looked back at me, patting the seat next to him for a second time. "Here, (y/n)."

The seat next to Noru happened to be the one that was also next to Genji. He made eye contact with me and seemed to be desperately telling me not to, but I disregarded it and awkwardly squeezed in the seat in between them. I placed my hands in my lap, for a lack of personal space to stretch out. I could almost feel Genji's burning gaze on me.

"You're a pretty one," Noru chuckled, eyes trailing down my body.

I chose to not get offended, and forced a smile on my face. "Thanks."

"You should hang with us from now on. We'd gratefully take you in, you know. Right, guys?"

Noru turned to the rest of the people who were still in a steady state of mind at the moment, and they all seemed to be chill with it. Reina patted my back with an eerie grin, like she was initiating me into the group.

"See? We're like a family," Noru whispered intensely.

It then occurred to me that he was going to put his arm around me. It seemed to happen in slow motion, seeing as it was literally the last thing I'd ever want to happen. His huge arm was just hovering above my shoulder, but to my surprise, he never touched me.

Genji's arm wrapped around my waist and he yanked me towards him, further away from Noru. A gasp escaped my lips. He seemed to kind of press me against the side of his body in a way that stated that he wouldn't let anyone touch me. I may not have been on the best of terms with Genji, but I would much rather be in his hold than Noru's.

I couldn't let him know that, though. So I glared at Genji like I was upset, but I really wanted his arm to stay right where it was. He pulled me to his torso protectively, not paying attention to my angry expression, which kind of forced me to lean against him.

Noru laughed nervously, retracting his arm and shaking his head in defeat. "I get it, I get it. She's yours, Shimada."

"Yes. She is."

"I wasn't trying to disrespect you or anything..."

"Good."

"I'm not a sack of potatoes!" I hissed, scowling up at him. He gave me a just-go-with-it kind of look.

Noru, Reina, and the rest of the teens in the room began engaging in a heated argument about who had the best drug dealer, which wasn't a surprising topic, seeing as most of them were high anyway. Yamana pulled out a bag of white powder, and I found myself not even wanting to know what was inside.