Chapter Thirty One

The day of the dance came sooner than I had expected. After a few days of doing equal amounts of nothing and sleeping in school, it had finally arrived.

I could hardly sleep the night before, mostly due to excitement (this was my first and probably last dance) and also a bit terrified. Life was upon me. 

Graduation was in about a week after the dance. I had an idea as to what I wanted to do after high school, but I was about to enter a life of grown-up stuff like taxes and looming responsibilities. 

I had craved for freedom all my life, and now that I was so close to it... it scared the hell out of me. The dance was like a reckoning that woke me up and told me that I would have to be prepared to Adult pretty soon.

I didn't have school the day of the dance, so there was no rush to get anything done. But I found myself feeling more anxious by the second, glancing at the clock as I played videogames, unable to concentrate.

Part of it all was just plain social anxiety, but the other part was impatience. I wanted to go and experience it already.

I spent the day slouched on my couch, my controller in my hand, killing things just to put my mind at ease. Eventually, I got so into it that I hadn't even noticed that the sun had indeed gone down.

The dance and my future kind of drifted away from my mind as I got into the game I was playing, and I didn't think about anything else besides what I was doing at the moment.

Just as I finished an epic game of deathmatch in which I had the best KD ratio, my phone, which was sitting beside me, starting ringing. I set down my controller down on my lap, shoved a potato chip into my mouth, and picked it up with my other hand.

I noticed that it had gotten dark outside, but it didn't register to me that I was late just yet.

Maya's weird contact photo was staring back at me. I answered it without a second thought. "What's good," I greeted, crunching on my chips.

"Have you gotten ready yet?!" she asked with excitement that I could feel radiating off of her through her voice.

My heart stopped at that moment. And no, I wasn't getting a heart attack from all the chips.

"Shit!"

I checked the time on my phone. The dance started in half an hour. I had somehow forgotten about the, oh, I don't know... only the FIRST AND LAST DANCE OF MY TEENAGE LIFE.

"Maya, I'm gonna go get ready, I'll see you there!" I yelled quickly, jumping out of my couch with adrenaline.

"(Y/N) DID YOU ACTUALLY FORG-"

I hung up the phone and tossed it behind me, leaving it to its grisly fate. With an energy I didn't even know I had within me, I sprinted up the staircase. Thank god Genji and I planned to meet in front of the school instead of him coming over and picking me up.

I grabbed the black dress sitting elegantly on top of my bed, some undergarments, and my makeup bag and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Okay. Thirty minutes. I had to take a good shower, get into my dress, apply some bomb-ass makeup, and dry/do my hair. I could do this.

-------------------------------------

I was extremely uncomfortable walking to school in these heels, but my mom had insisted on them, telling me that they matched the dress that Mr. Ikoma had given me.

Everything went rather smoothly. I had finished everything I needed to do in twenty minutes, leaving me ample time to walk.

The dress trailed after me with each stride, making me feel like I was some sort of celebrity. It fit on very nicely, hugging my upper body with a kind of reassurance.