Chapter Thirty Nine

(Mercy's POV)

I tightly wrapped the bandage over the woman's arm, which had a large gash beginning at the top of her shoulder all the way down to her elbow. It didn't look infected, which was good, but it was definitely going to leave a scar.

"How's it lookin, doc?" she asked tiredly, a small smile on her face. 

She was deployed about a month ago to King's Row, where a small omnic uprising was occuring. Though Overwatch had successfully put down the "rebellion", a lot of the agents were hurt, so they sent most of the injured to the medical base stationed in Hanamura.

I swiftly cut the bandage as I finished wrapping it, and tucked it all together so it would cover her entire arm. "Good news," I told her happily. "You're healing well."

"Thank you, Dr. Ziegler!"

"Ready to go?" a gruff yet gentle voice asked from the entryway of the examination room.

Placing the metallic scissors back down on the table, I turned with a smile. "Morrison!" 

He looked exhausted, as usual. It was safe to say that Jack was no spring chicken anymore. You could easily tell by the crinkled crow's feet forming around the skin of his eyes, and this wary and aged expression that seemed to be present all the time as a result of all the stress a commander had to endure.

I looked up to him a lot. And I was always trying to pull my weight so he didn't regret letting someone as young as me into Overwatch.

"How is it that you're always smiling, Ziegler?" he asked, though the hardened look in his eyes had eased into a soft gaze.

I grinned wider, so that my teeth would show. "Because there's nothing to frown about, you grump!"

He sighed, but was slightly amused.

"At any rate, are you two ready to get going?"

My patient got off the table, lightly rubbing her hand over the bandage on her arm. She nodded wordlessly at Morrison, out of respect or to answer his question I don't know. I could tell she was nervous to be standing in his presence, though I couldn't understand why. He was a big softie.

Morrison gestured in the direction behind him with his thumb, and the woman quickly left the medical tent to join the others in the aircraft. I wasn't as quick to follow.

I bent over, zipping up some of the equipment I was packing up. "There's really no time for sightseeing?" I whined. "I heard that Hanamura has the prettiest cherry blossom trees if we were only to explore it a little more..."

"No can do. You know Overwatch has to keep switching the location of the medical bases to avoid getting too much attention."

"Arghhh, I know! I just wanted to see the trees."

"Maybe next time."

I hauled the bag of medical equipment over my shoulder, grunting with the amount of effort I was forced to put in. Morrison sighed and stepped forward, taking the bag off my hands like it weighed nothing. "Weakling."

"Hey!"

We both laughed as we exited the tent. Most of the patients from the base, and some other Overwatch agents, were already sitting inside the aircraft just waiting for the two of us to board.

As Morrison carried the bag inside the aircraft, I stopped walking to look back one last time at the quiet little town of Hanamura. It was such a shame that I was stuck in the tent 24/7, so much so that I hadn't even gotten the time to explore.

"Ziegler!"

I turned away towards the aircraft, and placed a step onto the metallic platform laying out in from of me.