Chapter Twenty Three

Genji's arms tightened around me even more, his hand placed gently on top of my head like he was shielding me from the outside world. I could feel my face, hot and blotchy from crying, digging into his chest, soaking his t-shirt. But he didn't seem to care at all.

Genji stroked my hair and let me cry until my violent sobbing quieted into measly sniffles. My eyes were puffy and probably red after all of that, which sucked. But all I could think about was how innocent the omnic was.

The ground seemed really cold all of a sudden, and my surroundings were made apparent to me with my sobering consciousness. 

The pain in my ankle hadn't subsided at all; stabbing me with pulsing bursts of sharp pain. I was glad that everything around us was blanketed with the darkness of the night, because that meant that Genji couldn't see my wound.

He tilted my face up, examining my beat-up features. I could see it then, the thing I had almost anticipated I would see: anger. "Who did this to you? If I hurry, I can still find them," he snarled, already sounding like he was going to kill someone.

As he stood up, looking around warily, I grabbed his arm and yanked him back down to me, pulling him into a hasty embrace.

I shook my head. "No. You're not going anywhere right now. Just... stay with me."

"(Y/n)-"

"Please."

I tightened my grip around him in desperation trying to cling onto him enough to make him realize how little revenge I craved right now. His muscles softened under my embrace, and he stood up, heaving a sigh. "Fine. But this isn't over."

He helped me to my feet, but I foolishly tried to put weight on my cut ankle, causing my knees to buckle substantially. Genji quickly grabbed hold of me before I could fall over. "What? What is it?" he pressed with tension. 

I looked down on my ankle. "They... stabbed me right there."

Genji bent down and examined my stab wound silently. It seemed like every second he was staring, he was becoming angrier and angrier. He ripped off a portion of his shirt sleeve with a satisfying rip sound and wrapped it tightly around my ankle, making me flinch.

He then picked me up without a second thought, bridal style, giving me a reassuring glance as he began walking at a fast pace out of the alley. I would normally fight him on this, but I was in no position to do so. I couldn't walk on my own.

My eyes trailed sadly to the mangled parts of the omnic who had been destroyed, burning that image in my mind forever, before we turned the corner and he was gone. 

I wrapped my arms around Genji, leaning into his chest, feeling utterly exhausted and drained of happiness. This was the most vulnerable I had felt in a long time.

"Where are we going?" I mumbled softly.

"The hospital."

"What?! No! It's not even that big a deal, it's just a small wound!"

"A small wound that just so happens to be leaking too much blood!"

"I took first aid before, I can walk you through patching me up! Just please don't take me to the hospital."

Technically, Genji could still take me there if he really wanted to. It's not like I could put up a fight at this point.

But, to my surprise, he honored my wishes.

He murmured something under his breath, looking away. "Fine. I'm taking you to your house, then."

"No!"