Chapter Forty Two

Genji's POV:

Tonight was the night I was going to see her. With or without Overwatch's permission, I had to see my little bug.

It was quiet. I couldn't hear anything other than the chirping of crickets outside and the distinct snoring of Morrison in the sleeping quarters, so I knew that everyone else had to be asleep by now.

I felt kind of bad that I was disobeying direct orders given to me by Angela. She had worked so hard to bring me back to life. I wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone because she technically didn't even have the UN's permission to use this kind of technology on someone. 

I was Overwatch's little secret.

But it was the ship's last night in Hanamura. The only reason they were still here was because of me, and they wanted me to stick with them. But I couldn't go until I saw (Y/n) for myself. 

I was only told that Hanzo brought her to the hospital, but by now, I would guess that she had returned home to her mother. I knew for sure she wouldn't want to stay at our apartment, given that everything was broken from when Hanzo and I had fought.

I shifted off of the bed I was laying in, wincing slightly at the pain in my shoulder. I was still trying to get used to all the intricate wiring that was embedded in my body. Or what was left of my human body anyway.

I couldn't bring myself to look in the mirror these days. It pained me to know that I was almost an omnic. I couldn't even recognize who I was and wasn't anymore, but through the hazy pains of being unrecognizable to myself, I had one thing to hang onto and that was seeing (Y/n) again.

As quietly as I could, I climbed out of the bed and out of the makeshift room that I had. I immediately saw Angela, who seemed to be exhausted, sleeping with her arms folded on a metal table of medical supplies.

She was always working so hard to keep everyone healthy. Always trying to research new ways to save lives. The poor doctor hardly had enough time to sleep. Though she was always kind to me, I hadn't talked much since I woke up.

I sighed to myself, glancing once at the door. I had time.

I walked towards her, careful not to wake her or anyone else, and slipped my arm both beneath her legs and on her back, gently carrying her away from the table. I half-expected her to be jarred awake by the cold metal of my robotic arm, but to my surprise, she continued sleeping soundly.

I placed her down on a couch and pulled a thin blue blanket over her body. It was the least I could do given what she'd done for me.

That was all the time I had to spare. I had to leave now, so I had as much time as possible to find and see (Y/n). Quite frankly, I didn't even know if she would want to see me like this. She surely thought I was dead.

But I thought she deserved the truth.

I exited the ship. It was close to the Shimada household, and therefore only a few minutes from (Y/n)'s old house. Wow. When I though about the way my normal life was, it seemed so far away, though it couldn't have been more than just a few weeks.

The cool night air touched what little skin was visible. The rest of me couldn't feel anything at all.

I was lucky that no one was outside in Hanamura today. It would be a hassle to have to hide.

I passed my old home sadly. The building cast shadows on the pavement, as if it meant to haunt me and my memories. And yet, I still though of it fondly.

That was where I had grown up. Where I trained. And where I could never return to. I heard that Hanzo had taken off after doing this to (Y/n) and I, so the clan was probably in the process of selecting a new leader.