Chapter Fourteen

What the hell just happened?

My phone buzzed in my pocket, shattering my shock-stricken state of mind. I took out my phone to see a text from Maya. She had responded to me.

"About that, I can't today! I'm under house arrest!"

It seemed like she was prompting me to ask her why, but I couldn't bring myself to care about that as much right now. Everything else I had planned for today seemed to be trivial. With a heavy sigh, I shoved my phone back in my pocket, not bothering to answer for now. Maya would understand if she knew.

I knew I couldn't really do anything that required concentration, seeing as my mind was swirling with the events that just occurred, so I decided to mindlessly run to the grocery store and pick up some more snacks. Since Genji and I had finished them all.

Genji. Everything seemed to come right back to him.

His crying face was frozen in my mind permanently as I numbly walked to the store, seeking something to take my mind off of things.

Why was Hanzo so cruel to him? What did Genji mean when he said that his clan was disgusting? So many questions. Too many questions.

But one thing was for sure. Genji didn't want nor need my company.

I walked into the SaveMart where I used to work, and made awkward eye contact with my old manager. He crossed his arms and scowled at me like I was the scum of the earth. Ordinarily, I would smirk at him, maybe ask him to assist me in customer service just for the fun of it. But I really wasn't feeling up to it today.

I knew the store like the back of my hand, so I navigated to the snack aisle and started picking out a few things to eat. Chips. Cookies. Granola bars.

My arms were full in a matter of a few seconds. Perhaps I'd spend the day pigging out. Why not? Maybe I could figure out what I was going to say to Genji the next time I saw him while I ate.

I walked out of the aisle, seeking some sort of basket to carry all my shit. I might as well have been space walking, because I ran right into someone's torso, knocking all the food I had in my arms to the floor. They scattered noisily, attracting the attention of other shoppers momentarily.

I clicked my tongue in frustration, staring at the mess in front of me, and then turned my eyes upward to apologize.

I made eye contact with the person, and then stared in bewilderment.

"Oh... hi..." I started slowly, feeling embarrassed. "Kai... sorry I knocked into you."

Kai only seemed to panic upon hearing my apology. His face contorted into a worried expression, and he looked down at the mess and then at me multiple times, at a loss for words.

I hadn't ever seen him out of his school uniform before. He seemed really down-to-earth, wearing a blue hoodie and some black jeans. Before I could get in another sentence, Kai dropped to the floor and starting picking up my things. 

"No, I'm sorry! I should've seen you coming!" he apologized hastily and nervously.

I bent down and helped him gather my things, smiling at his smolness a little bit. He avoided my gaze like he was embarrassed to exist. I shook my head. "Pretty sure this was my fault. I... had a lot going on in my mind."

Kai handed the rest of the snacks to me before tilting his head in what seemed to be curiosity. "Oh? Something bothering you?"

"Yes."

"Do you... want to talk about it?"

"No. Hence why I'm buying all these snacks... to get my mind off of it."

"Oh... I can help you with that... if you want..."

"With what? Eating the snacks?"

Kai's face seemed to burn a bright shade of red and he smiled and shook his head no. He laughed nervously, and turned away from me. "You can... go to the movies. With me. I mean, if you want! You can go alone, but I figure you need a friend... unless you don't! Just let me know-"

"Kai, don't sweat it, I'd love to see a movie right now."

It was really kind of him to ask. And at the present moment, maybe a nice horror movie or a fast-paced action themed one would be enough to distract me from what I saw at the Shimada residence today. And Kai didn't seem like the kind of person to pry into what was bothering me.

---------------------------------

"What movie do you want to see?" Kai asked as we stared at the monitor displaying different titles. I squinted at them, humming in concentration.

There was one that caught my attention, called, "The Black Blood of Mary Debould" which was a horror movie. My eyes lit up, and I pointed at it, and we agreed to see it.

"Hope you aren't squeamish," I chuckled as he payed for the tickets. 

Kai handed me my ticket, smiling confidently. "Believe me. I'm not squeamish."

---------------------------------

Kai let out a high-pitched scream as a demon child jumpscared the whole theater. He knocked over the popcorn bag in between us, causing an avalanche of the sodium goodness to fly all over the people seated around us.

I began cackling with laughter at his reaction, and turned to see him cowering in fear, his hands over his eyes. His legs were tucked under him on his seat like a little kid. 

The music began doing the horror movie thing, you know... when it starts speeding up and sounding really ugly and high pitched. 

I pulled on his wrists, trying to get him to look at the screen. "Kai, you're missing the best part! The demon child is beheading the huntsman!"

"(Y/n), I swear to god, I will sell your soul to the demon child if you keep trying to make me look," he warned shakily.

I gave up and sighed, slumping back in my chair and shoving a huge handful of popcorn into my mouth. The demon child finished beheading the huntsman, and that's when the huntsman's wife began to cry in fear.

I don't know. Seeing the girl cry and scream hysterically made me think painfully of the way Genji was crying. Suddenly, everything that happened on the screen sounded like background noise as I began to hear the his voice telling me that he didn't ever want me to come back.

Why was I so damn concerned?

The movie was over before I knew it. As the credits started rolling down the screen with some mainstream pop music accompanying it, Kai and I made our way down the aisle covered in popcorn and empty soda cans in order to get to the exit.

Light blinded the two of us temporarily as we opened the door, so we covered the lightbulbs in the building and hissed like vampires. I yawned and stretched. The movie was tiring to watch, because it was so long. 

"Did you enjoy the movie?" Kai asked.

"Mmhmm. Though you surely didn't."

"I really didn't! But you make great company, so it was worth it. But do you... feel a little better?"

I hesitated, contemplating telling him the truth. But upon seeing that hopeful look on his face, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I shot him a smile. "A whole lot better. Thanks."

Kai's face brightened up in relief upon hearing this from me. I was glad I chose to tell him that. "I'm glad!" he chirped happily.

But I didn't feel a whole lot better. Truth was, my curiosity and concern for Genji's home life just grew and grew as I sat in the dark theater room.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: HEYEYEYYEYEYEYE WHAT'S UP?!!!!!! First of all, this story is almost to 1k reads! What the feck... seriously every single one of you readers is the BOMB. And the votes are amazing too like jeez man I have the best readers in the history of wattpad. The support really does mean a lot to me, so thank you for getting this story this far. That's all for now, I suppose, so until next time... buh bye!