Chapter Four

To my surprise, Genji obeyed his brother's wish and kept his bedroom door open. He sighed and walked over to his desk, where he started taking out all his school stuff. His room was a mess, but of course, I expected nothing more from him.

Clothes were strew about the tatami mats lining the room, wires from electronics snaked across his desk messily, and his curtains on the window were drawn, preventing any light from coming in. It was more like a cave than a room.

Genji spun around in his swivel chair, giving me a small smile. "You can sit on the bed if you want." As he said this, he wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

"What did I say about sexual implications?" I snapped as I sat down on the edge of his bed cautiously, letting my school bag fall to the floor. His eyes widened with recollection.

"Oh, right... well, anyway, sorry about my brother Hanzo. He can be an ass sometimes."

I moved around on the bed to try to get more comfortable as he said this. I nodded. "He thought I was here for you to bang," I scoffed.

"I mean like... do you want to? It's not too late."

"Genji."

"I know the door is open but if you could contain your screams..." he smirked.

"Genji, jesus christ. Get your stuff out, let's start with math."

He groaned with annoyance, spun back around in his swivel chair, and began flipping through his math folder. "Hang on... let me just get what we're working on..." he murmured with concentration.

I flopped down backwards on the bed, waiting for him to get his worksheets out. His bed smelled like vanilla to my surprise, so I guessed that that was his cologne. I loved the smell of vanilla.

I turned my head to the side to see picture frames sitting on his night table, arranged nicely. They were the only things in the room that looked organized.

There was a picture of young Genji with his arm around his older brother, flashing an innocent piece sign towards the camera. Seeing young Genji made me think of the day I almost quit ballet...

"(Y/n), so here's what I cannot understand, no matter how much it's explained to me..." Genji turned around, to see me eyeing the photo. I snapped out of my distant gaze and took the paper he was holding, and forced myself to sit up. He seemed to notice that I had some kind of connection with the picture, so he glanced at it himself.

I snapped to get his attention. "Alright... so here's where you went wrong..."

---------------------------

It was a long two hours. After a mix of face-palming, frustration, and tears, I finally got him to understand what he was doing in math. Genji's face lit up as he solved a problem correctly for the first time. I caught him up on the rest of his curriculum and that was about all for my tutoring duties today.

"I can't believe it," Genji gasped. "I actually understand what's happening!"

"If you'd payed attention during class, you wouldn't have to wonder."

"This is amazing! Thank you!"

The two of us were sitting on his floor in the midst of a ton of papers and textbooks, making his room even more messy. I was just about to clean up when Genji stood up and stretched. "(Y/n), you want something to eat before you go? Kitchen's just down the hall."

"Yeah, sure, thanks."

The two of us managed to step through the massive pile of papers and exit his room. As we walked down the hall in just our bare socks, I saw people who looked like bodyguards stationed at the doors. Some of these men walked past us, and I saw their stern and cold expressions. I hurried my pace to keep up with Genji.

"You have bodyguards?" I whispered.

"Yeah, but they follow me around and annoy me all the time so it's not the privilege some people make it out to be."

It was no wonder Geji was such a party animal. If I was followed 24/7 I'd probably go crazy as well.

We reached the huge kitchen, which had homely little plants on the window sills. He gestured me to the fridge, and so I took him up on his offer and ripped it open, in search for a snack. As soon as I saw a bag of bagels, I attacked them and popped one in a toaster that happened to be right next to the fridge. He laughed.

"Hungry, eh?"

"Well after putting up with a multitude of sexist, immature comments, I'm sure anyone would be hungry."

"That's true," He walked over to me and patted my head. "Eat all you want, little bug."

It was then that he noticed our substantial differences in height. And decided to call me out on it. Gosh. "How come you're so short?" he snorted, leaning on my shoulder like an arm rest.

I stepped away from him, seething. "You're so annoying!" I complained as I grabbed the bagel from the toaster. I shoved it in my mouth angrily.

"Don't be self-conscious about it, though. You're so cute."

"I don't want to be CUTE."

"You're so angry at me all the time, it's so cute!"

I was about to go off again, but upon the realization that he was just trying to get a rise out of me, I shook my head and continued eating. I offered him the other slice, and he took it from me gratefully. We sat on the dinner table and swung our legs off the ledge like little kids, eating our bagels in a comfortable silence.

"Do you still take ballet?" Genji asked suddenly, taking me aback.

I nodded yes, but then a million questions overflowing in my head. Does that mean he remembered me after all? The little girl in red crying on the sidewalk? Does this mean that he hadn't just forgotten all about me? I stared at him, trying to decipher his thoughts, but I came up empty. He could be thinking a million things.

"That's good. I remember that you were a great dancer," he said as he grinned. His dark eyes were wide, just like they were eleven years ago. I felt my insides churning just a little.

A loud thump from behind us interrupted our conversation. There was Hanzo, looking at the two of us suspiciously. "Genji," he started slowly. "Training. Now."

"Ah! I must've forgotten."

Genji jumped off the table and helped me do the same. "Let me see (y/n) off first."

"Fine."

"Training? What training?" I asked curiously as he walked me to the front door. He opened it for me, and stepped aside to let me pass.

"The Shimadas are known for their fighting abilities. I simply train to fight is all. Perhaps I can show you one day?"

"Yeah. I'd like to see that!"

He seemed happy to see my enthusiasm.

"See you at school!" he waved.

The door closed, leaving the sort of training regimens he has to my imagination. It was hard to think that the carefree, playboy Genji could actually fight. That would be interesting to see.

I walked down the pathway, eager to get to ballet class on time. I took one last look at the Shimada household, pondering its secrets, before I completely walked away.