Chapter Thirty Four

It was a dark room; little to no light at all. A small candle stood feebly in the center of the rounded table, providing that small illumination.

Its flame flickered as if it was struggling to stay awake. It's orange glow made visible a few faint shadows being cast onto the stone wall. They were the silhouettes of eight people, each staying as still as possible for whatever reason.

No one in the room talked for the longest time, letting the uncomfortably dark blanket of silence coat the room like snow. Each moment sat there saying nothing felt like an addition to an eternity.

Suddenly, a chuckle resonated through the room. "So serious, all of you..." a female voice breathed, her voice laced with humor.

Her shadow moved, her shoulders shaking with quiet laughter. Someone shushed her sharply, annoyed. "What do we know? What has Peps been telling us?" the shusher asked her.

"Nothing," the girl responded, sitting forward in her chair, all traces of humor gone from her voice. "Your guy has given us a tiny scrap of information in a week. Me? I can grant you full access so you don't need that undercover idiot."

"Gutsy, gutsy..." someone with a French accent purred from the other side of the room.

"I mean it," the girl reassured, ignoring the sarcastic remark.

The light in the center of the room ran rampart, wiggling in all different directions, like it sensed the growing tension.

"Just send me in. I can get all of the info transferred to our computers. Anything the Japanese government puts into the system? We'll be able to see it."

"Are you sure they won't be able to tell that you hacked them?"

"I'm... not completely sure, I'll admit. But it's worth the risk! Overwatch has people in Hanamura right now! They'll find Peps there, and we'll be compromised."

The man huffed in aggravation, his silhouette reaching a hand up to his forehead as he contemplated his next move. "I'll think about it. But for now, Sombra, you stay here. Peps is doing just fine. He has had the family's trust for a long time, and is giving us what we need to know, so that's good enough."

Sombra leaned back in her chair and heaved a sigh. "Sure, for now. How long before the family figures out who he really is? What he's been doing? How long before Overwatch does?"

"Try not to think about it too much."

The candle light waved one last time, and with its dying breath, revealed that everyone in the room had gone back to their stoic and unmoving forms at the table. In less than a second, the light went out, engulfing the room in total darkness.

------------------------------------------

(Y/n)'s POV

I heard a knock at my door, which shattered my concentration in the book I was reading. I set it aside on the couch, audibly yawning as I did so, and forced myself to move up and off the couch.

I undid the two locks on my side, ran a hand through my hair lazily in an attempt to fix my appearance up a little bit, and then opened the door.

Standing there was Pepper. He had a small smile on his face as he lifted a bag of what seemed to be McDonalds, his crooked pearly teeth exposed to me. There was something very refreshing in seeing my friend's brown curly hair and friendly ombre eyes.

"Are you skipping class, Pepper Jones?" I asked pointedly.

"Yes! But hey, I brought us food! Want to harbor this fugitive?" he asked playfully, raising the bag higher in the air to emphasize its existence.