Chapter Thirty

I put a granola bar down on the countertop, smiling at Mr. Ikoma as I did. The little organic store was quiet as always, me being one of his only patrons.

I found that I couldn't stop grinning madly as I stared down at the granola bar, feeling all giddy and elated for some reason. Well, if I were to be honest about what I was feeling, I knew the reason why I was like this.

Genji had asked me to the Lotus Dance at school today. Everything was going smoothly.

Mr. Ikoma scanned my granola bar with a prompt beep, raising a suspicious eyebrow at me, obviously a little unnerved by me grinning to myself. "What's up with you, child? Not on drugs, I hope?"

"Is it that rare to see me smiling? You think I'm on drugs?"

He nodded without a second thought, making me laugh dryly in response. "Gee, thanks."

"You gonna tell me?" he probed, handing the granola bar into my palm. I took it almost too happily, and stuck it into my school bag without another thought.

I clapped my hands together. "You know that green-haired weirdo? The one you let me bring to the roof?"

"Yes..."

"He asked me to go with him to the Lotus Dance."

Mr. Ikoma's eyes widened with surprise, and his mouth formed the shape of an O in understanding. He then placed his hand on his heart, stooping slightly. Concerned, I placed a hand on his back and felt that I was about to freak out in a panic. "Mr. Ikoma! What's wrong?!"

He drew in a shaky breath, and then stood up straight, glaring at me sternly. "Nothing, child! I'm not dying just yet! It's just... you're growing up so fast..."

"Oh," I murmured, breathing in a breath of relief. I backed away, calming down. "Nothing I can do about that. Sorry."

Mr. Ikoma wiped his gritty hands on his apron, shaking his head sadly. He punched in a few things into the register idly, and I decided to stick around for a while. I sat on a chair near the entrance, leaning on the edge of the counter.

I found myself smiling again, recalling the moment he had asked me.

Mr. Ikoma turned his full attention back to me. "What are you planning on wearing, (y/n)?"

I sat up, realizing that I would inevitably have to go dress shopping with Maya. I groaned with annoyance, planting my face in my hands. "Thanks for reminding me I'll have to try on a million dresses."

"Maybe not..."

I looked up expectantly. "Huh?"

"When my niece was your age, she attended a dance here in Hanamura while she was visiting as well. She had no use for the dress after the dance, so she left it somewhere in my storage room, I think..."

"Let me see the dress!" I exclaimed, jumping out of my seat.

I hated shopping. Time spent shopping could've been time spent practicing ballet or watching Netflix and eating. I would literally do anything else over walking around the mall like a zombie, shuffling through overpriced fabric.

Mr. Ikoma nodded in approval, and beckoned me to follow him into the storage room. Slowly, he hobbled over there, and pulled the door open. Dust enveloped the rest of the store as he did this, causing us both to cough and shield our faces. "How long has it been since you opened this door?" I asked.

He waved me off with annoyance, and then marched in there, immediately beginning the search for the dress.

A part of me felt disappointed that it was laying around somewhere underneath several layers of dust, but I still waited patiently by the door frame, watching as Mr. Ikoma peeked into several old boxes.