Chapter Eight

Briiiiiiinnnnnnngggg! Briiiiiiiinnnggggggggggggggggg!

I groaned and reached blindly over my covers, searching for the source of the noise. I patted pretty much the whole length of the blanket before my fingers skimmed over a hard, smooth object. My phone. It was ringing. 

My eyes opened just barely, and the sun hit me almost immediately. I swore and whipped my phone in front of my face to see who was calling. Yes, it was a school morning, but my alarm hadn't even gone off yet.

It was Maya, again. I clicked my tongue, slid the answer bar, and yanked the sheets over my head to block the sun out. "Hello?" I grumbled distastefully.

"Oh! Did I wake you?"

"Maya, we're literally going to see each other in like an hour. What is so important?"

"I just wanted to let you know that Erick and I are going to meet Kai on the stairwell bench at school as soon as we arrive! We want to give him a warm welcome, and you should meet up with us instead of going to our usual spot!"

I completely gave up on sleep at this point and threw off my blankets as I sat up, placing my bare feet on the cold hardwood floor in my room. I threw on a jumper as I headed to the bathroom to freshen up. My hair was a mess, my life was a mess. I sighed.

"Got it," I responded as I slathered toothpaste onto my brush. "I'll see you then."

"Right! Looking forward to it."

She hung up, leaving me plenty of time to get prepared for school. My mom wasn't even awake yet, because she was a government analyst that worked from home. She was too lucky.

--------------------------------

I slipped out of the house and commenced my walk to school, doing a few stretch positions and lunges. I slid down into the splits, exhaling pleasantly at the familiar and comfortable position. After making sure no one was looking, I threw my backpack down to the ground and did a few cartwheels. I then threw myself up into the air to perform a backflip, and landed on my feet perfectly. I grinned. This was how I truly woke myself up every day. Flexibility was my forte!

I ran the rest of the way to school, not wanting to disappoint Maya by showing up with no time to spare.

---------------------------------

After making in inside, I strided to the staircase bench, my eyes already searching for Maya's bright red hair.

My school was fairly filled already. There were people chatting amongs their friend groups idly, waiting for the first bell to ring. It was such a familiar scene. Their voices were background noises for my busy thoughts. A few people looked at me as I passed, a few didn't. I didn't have very many friends.

I spotted Maya alright, with a guy's arm strung over her shoulder, laughing with a stranger I had never seen before.

That must be Kai. He had the most peculiarly piercing green eyes, and dark black hair. His skin was a bit on the tan side, and dimples made their way onto his cheeks as he smiled at some kind of joke. He seemed friendly enough.

I walked up and tapped Maya's shoulder, while jokingly picking up Erick's arm and throwing it off of her like a protective mother. She rolled her eyes at my antics, but then broke out into grin. 

"Erick, Kai, this is my best friend, (y/n) (l/n). (Y/n), this is Erick and Kai!"

She did the will-smith-presenting-his-wife pose, and Erick stuck his hand out to me. "Nice to meet you. May I have your permission to, er, put my arm around Maya?"