Chapter Forty Five

FIVE YEARS LATER

GENJI'S POV

"Lena, where are we going?"

I bumped into a table, and flinched with surprise. I reached up to take Lena's hands away from in front of my eyes, but she cried out a protest. 

"You're gonna ruin the surprise, love!" she yelped.

I sighed and continued on with her ridiculous demands. She led me forward, and I didn't have to open my eyes to realize that we had walked into a different room.

Lena's hands flew from my eyes, exposing me to a darkness that lasted a few seconds before the lights flickered on, blinding me. 

Everyone suddenly jumped out from behind the table and couches, huge grins throughout the whole room. 

"SURPRISE!"

Directly in front of me was Angela, a HUGE cake in both hands and an apologetic smile on her graceful features. It had my name scrawled on messily in icing, along with a "Happy Birthday!"

Candles surrounded the text, flickering slightly.

I couldn't help but smile at the ridiculous measures they had gone to surprise me. 

Winston suddenly slung his arm over me. "Happy birthday, cyborg ninja!"

"Happy birthday, love!"

The others started singing in unison, really off pitch. I cringed a little bit, pressing a hand to my forehead out of embarrassment, but felt nothing but adoration for these dorks.

Winston had recalled Overwatch together after it was officially disbanded a while ago. I never thought I'd see them again, and I had been living in Nepal with my master Zenyatta after I was no longer a part of Blackwatch.

I needed the time away from the world to truly accept who I was now.

But of course, I answered to his recall, as did everyone else. And here we were, just in time for my birthday.

The song concluded and Angela approached me with the cake in her hands. I hadn't seen her in years. We had exchanged a few awkward pleasantries when we regrouped, but I hadn't gotten the chance to really talk with her, though I did want to.

She hadn't changed a whole lot. She wore her long blonde hair in a ponytail now though, and I thought it really suited her.

I watched as she extended the cake in my direction, her eyes rising to meet mine. "Make a wish!" she chirped.

I shook my head with a smile, and then began thinking. What did I want to wish for?

She flashed in my head before I could even think about it that hard. The smile faded from my lips, and I leaned forward and blew out the candles half-heartedly. 

I wish that (y/n) would be healthy and happy for another year.

I hadn't seen her at all since the events that transpired in the Shimada house. I wondered if she had changed at all.

Maybe she started wearing her hair in a ponytail like Angela. Maybe she cut it really short, or dyed it.

Maybe she grew taller. No, that was laughable. She was short, and always would be.

Maybe she still danced to songs at midnight while making secret bowls of cereal.

Maybe...

She got married to Kai.

Somber thoughts haunted me as everyone around me began chattering excitedly, pouring fruit punch and beginning to cut into the cake. They seemed to move like a blurry background; indecipherable and too far away for me to hear.