Chapter Twelve

Friday, at last. I didn't have to worry about homework or upcoming lectures for the weekend. No ballet or gymnastics today either. I was looking forward to tutoring Genji for the last time and then going straight home to eat and sleep. I knew that I had a new bag of pizza rolls waiting for me in the freezer that I just HAD to get to.

When the final bell rung, I shot out of my chair, throwing my backpack over my shoulder, and sprinted out of my foreign language class, eager to get to Genji's locker so we could walk over to his place.

Right. So I had started skipping the one hour that I had allotted myself to prepare for the lesson, and just started going over to his house immediately after school.

I turned the corner and ran into Maya, who looked startled and then suspicious upon seeing me in a rush. Her brown eyebrow twinged as she eyed me, crossing her arms. "Where are you off to so fast?"

"It's Friday, Maya, of course I'm in a rush!" I huffed, trying to sidestep her. She blocked my path with her body, and I groaned. She was going all Mama Bear on me.

"You're going to Genji's to tutor him again? Shouldn't you be getting a break from that? Like you so excitedly announced, it's Friday. Let's have a girls night tonight."

"I will go over to your house tomorrow, and we can do whatever you want. But for now, I have some tutoring today."

Maya sighed and moved out of my way, gesturing to the space in front of her like I was some kind of princess. I could tell by the disheartened expression on her face that she really did want to hang with me, so I mentally reminded myself to treat her to ice cream tomorrow. I smiled apologetically at her, and continued on my way more slowly than before.

Behind me, Maya cupped her hands and yelled after me, "Just don't start catching feelings! I'll bitch slap you if you do!"

How pleasant.

I gave her a sarcastic thumbs-up in understanding. 

I rounded a few more corners before I finally reached Genji's locker. He had already finished getting all his shit from it, which was unusual, because he was a slow as shit normally. He seemed to be gripping some kind of paper, and was bouncing on his heels in what seemed to be excitement.

I walked up to him and he looked up, meeting my gaze with his enigmatic dark eyes. A grin broke out on his face and he ran up to meet me.

"Hey, Genji, what's uP WHAT THE FUCK!"

Genji proceeded to PICK ME UP and spin me around in circles like I was a sack of potatoes. I gasped in embarrassment and shock, but upon hearing him laughing happily as he spun me around, I calmed down and felt a contagious wave of elation at whatever it was.

People walked passed us like we were insane, and I didn't blame them.

He set me down on my feet and I socked his shoulder lightly, my cheeks feeling like tomatoes. He flinched, but he still had an uncontrollable grin spread out on his lips. "What was that?!" I demanded.

Genji flashed the paper he was holding in front of my face, dangling it back and forth like a clock. I attempted to read the paper while it was in motion, but eventually gave up and snatched it out of his grip and scanned it quickly.

The first thing I noticed was his name scribbled on the top of the paper. I snickered. "Your handwriting is shit."

"Shut upppppppp! You're missing the point, look beneath that!" he whined, jabbing his pointer finger to where he wanted me to look.

My eyes widened as I saw a 50/50 as his grade for the paper. This was a test. No, THE history test I'd been preparing him for. My mouth dropped open, and I looked up with both pride and happiness.