Chapter Ten

"(L/n). First time you walk into my class late. Care to explain why?"

Mr. Yamato was glaring daggers at me through his thick eyeglasses. It made me squirm a little to be under that intense gaze. I gripped my bag as the rest of the class turned to look at me with curiosity.

I shrugged. "Lady problems, Mr. Yamato. You understand, I hope."

"Grrr. Go sit down."

I'm not even exaggerating. He literally growled at me. I blinked and made my way over to my seat. I noticed that Kai had the one next to me that was empty prior to today. I sat down and sighed heavily, wondering if Genji had gone to class by now as well.

"I had to introduce myself to everyone by myself. Boo you, not being here," Kai whispered to me.

By now, Mr. Yamato had continued to teach whatever he was teaching. Something about frogs based on the extensive internal diagram on the board. Chances are, he wouldn't notice us talking, as we sat in the back.

I grinned at Kai. "Sorry. Any first impressions on the school?"

"Compared to the dump I attended before, this is practically a paradise."

"Yikes. You'll come to hate it here, though, of that I'm sure."

He chuckled, his lips curling into a lopsided smile. Kai was just too adorable. Friend achieved! His fingers tapped his desk idly as he leaned towards me again, his green eyes staying on Mr. Yamato's back just in case he turned around. He seemed as though he was about to say something, but then he turned to look at me in surprise, eyes widened with shock, and cheeks dusted with pink.

I creased my brows with confusion. "What?"

"O-oh. Nothing. You just... smell really good."

I let out a hearty laugh, because I had thought something was wrong, gaining the attention of several students in front of us. Thank god Mr. Yamato didn't notice. "Um, thank you, I guess!"

"Aaaahhhhh I'm sorry, I'm weird!" he apologized feverishly.

"Kai, it's cool. I'm a fucking weirdo as well. Don't worry."

The two of us tried to pay attention for the rest of the lesson. I took out my notebook and jotted down a few vague notes to look over later, and a few more on the other page that were a bit more extensive. Those notes were for Genji. Just in case he's too hungover to pay attention in his science class. He'd have to thank me later.

But it's not like I was going to great lengths for him! I just happened to have nothing else to do at the moment.

My eyes drifted to the corner of my notebook paper, and I decided to doodle a little bit out of boredom. I sketched out a little snoopy-styled dog that seemed to be smiling. I wasn't the best artist ever, so it looked a little crappy, but it was good enough for a doodle.

I moved my hand away from the drawing and leaned on my palm as I drifted off into a daydream.

I eyed the clock after a few minutes and realized that the bell would be ringing any minute now. I looked down at my notes one last time, but I saw something in the corner of my eye.

Turning to look at Kai's journal, I saw a much better doodle on the corner of his page as well! It was of Charlie Brown, and the drawing was waving in the direction of my crappy Snoopy, with a little speech bubble that said, "Hello!"

Kai and I smiled at each other, because of the cuteness of our drawings, and then the bell rung loudly, which ended my first class.

We stood up at the same time, and walked side by side to the exit. "See you later?" Kai asked.

"Yeah, definitely."

We parted ways once we got outside. Maya and Erick seemed to have been waiting for us out there. Our classrooms were close after all.

Erick slung his arm around Kai, and the two sauntered over to the left, while I went the other way with Maya. She was grinning and wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. She hung onto my arm like she always did, and seemed to bounce with every step.

"So?" she questioned. "What do you think of Kai?"

"He's nice. And really awkward."

"-and perfect for you!" she added obnoxiously. I had almost forgotten that she was planning on setting me up with him.

I rolled my eyes. "Maya, I'm not looking for anyone right now."

Her red hair flowed majestically behind her, and her eyes seemed so bright and full of life. She was really happy, I could tell. Erick was doing fine by me. It also seemed that she just wanted to spread her happiness with me by setting me up with Kai.

Maya was a great friend.

She pouted. "You say that now! Just you wait!"

"What are you, a fucking oracle?"

My phone vibrated in my pocket suddenly, taking me off guard. I stopped walking and took it out to check. It was a text from my ballet instructor, Mary. That was uncharacteristic.

The text read, "You need to practice for that audition. Come in as soon as you finish school."

"Who's that?" Maya asked.

"Just Mary."

I opened up my phone and shot her a text back, which was, "Can't. I have a tutoring session."

She responded as fast as lightning. "Genji, right? Bring him along. You can teach him while you take breaks."

Every fiber of my being did NOT want that to happen. I already felt distressed and a bit embarrassed at the thought of him watching me go full-on ballerina. I shook my head, and tried to text-argue with Mary a little bit more, but I knew my efforts were futile. Mary was dead-set on having him come and watch.

I facepalmed angrily, and began to lowkey ponder the reasons for my existence.

"What's the matter?" Maya asked, assessing my stressed state.

"It's nothing. You can go to class, I just have to text someone else real quick."

"If you say so."

Maya left me, so I leaned against the school wall and started a conversation with someone I hadn't even contacted yet. Genji. We exchanged numbers when we decided on a tutoring schedule, in case on of us couldn't make it, but we hadn't actually talked yet.

I shot him the text I was dreading to send.

"My ballet teacher wants me to come in right after school. I can still teach you, but you have to come with me to class."

I groaned internally, and made my way to class, which was math. I hoped to run into him on the way, but I couldn't spot him among the faces that I passed.

I was about twenty minutes into my math lecture when my phone vibrated with a text.

I pulled it out and scanned it hesitantly. I prayed that he would say that he couldn't. That he wasn't feeling up to it. But, as usual, things went against me. "That sounds rather interesting... count me in."

The little suggestive wink face at the end of that sentence put me right off.

"How are you feeling, by the way?" I typed.

"Much better thanks to you. God, I can't wait to see you dance."

"I will destroy you if you make fun of me."

"How can I? There won't be anything to make fun of."

I smiled down at my lap, feeling a little flutter in my chest.