Chapter Twenty Five

"So you were walking home, and you tripped on something... and your ankle was impaled by a nail jutting out from a building? All while the ground bruised and cut your face?"

I nodded with an innocent smile. Maya scoffed, her brows creasing skeptically. "You're full of bullshit."

"I know it sounds unlikely but that's really all there is to it!" Though I was practically begging her to believe me, I could almost hear the sound of the lie ringing in my voice.

Mmhmm. I sat on the throne of lies and I knew it.

Maya leaned in close, her face scrunched up like she smelled something bad. "Buuuulllllshhiiiitttt."

"Maya, you're overthinking. Massively."

It's not like I didn't trust her to keep a secret. I knew she would try her hardest to. But with her, it seems to just have a way of coming out whether she wanted it to or not. If she came over to my house and let it slip to my mom that I had fought gang members, it wouldn't be too pretty.

Ignorance is bliss anyway.

She groaned, set down her paintbrush, and sprawled out on the floor like old people on the life alert infomercials. "Okay, if you don't want to tell me where you got the injuries, tell me who you stayed with that night. You're asking me to pretend you were over at my place, so I should know where you really were."

"... you're not going to like it."

"Okay."

"Genji's."

She shot up into an upright position. "WHAT."

"Nothing happened though," I looked up from the painting that I was doing to give her a look of reassurance. "He just took care of me. That's all."

"No, you should've called ME, not that buffoon!"

I chuckled lightly, running my brush over the paper in easy strokes.

We were decorating posters for the upcoming Lotus Dance. It wasn't very good for my growing problem of sleep deprivation to be getting up to go to school early to do this, but Maya wanted to practice her art so that's what we were doing.

She had asked me to go with her and Erick to the dance, but there was no way in hell I was about to thirdwheel. That was an L I wasn't going to take.

So I chucked it up to bitter loneliness and decided to stay home. The whole school was so hyped for it, but here I was, probably one of the only ones planning to stay home and watch Netflix.

I was in the middle of drawing a half-assed lotus flower when I realized I had forgotten to ask Maya something. I smacked her arm, getting her attention. "Hey your birthday is tomorrow! What do you want me to get you?!" I asked excitedly.

"How about you give me your brain so I can stop failing literally everything?"

"Besides my brain."

She tapped her chin, deep in thought, smudging a bit of the blue paint she was using on her face. I held back my snickers. "I got nothing. You don't have to get me anything. Erick's all I need..." she muttered in a dream-like state.

"Ew. Whatever, I'm still gonna get you something."

"If you say so."

------------------------------------

I was walking home after school, my mind still juggling all the different possibilities of what I could get for Maya. Normally, I'd be heading over to Genji's house, but I shot him a quick text telling him that I needed the day off to prepare something for her birthday.