Chapter Twenty Nine

At school, I was busy twiddling away on my phone, scrolling through the news app that I never used. I had nothing better to do with my time honestly. Since the school year was coming to a close, the teachers weren't really teaching anything.

My philosophy teacher, Ms. Jenikai, was nice enough to give us the whole class to do whatever.

Blowing a bubble with my gum, popping it with a snap, I narrowed my eyes as my eyes roamed over the most recent news events. 

There were a few isolated omnic attacks by the remaining rebels all over the world, which wasn't all that concerning. These headlines were followed by those stating that Overwatch was on top of it, though generally speaking, now that the Crisis was over, they were standing up for innocent Omnics now.

That was good news, at least to me. I thought briefly about what I had said to Genji; my suggestion to join Overwatch in the future. I wasn't joking. The organization actually put actions behind good intentions; something that even police and various military poweres wouldn't have the guts to do.

I felt a poke on my shoulder, and glanced over to see Maya, grinning stupidly. She shoved her phone in front of my face, laughing as she tried to explain what she was showing me.

"Look... AHAHAHHA.... Look at this meme!" she screeched.

It was the video of a homeless guy waving around a cardboard sign on a street. "Accept yourself! Love yourself! Accept yourself!" he yelled to no one in particular. (A/n: This is actually a super dank meme that you should all see if you haven't already.)

I chuckled to myself, pushing her phone away. "Maya, this is like, super old."

"Old memes are the best memes!"

"...true."

She put down her phone, and seemed to be staring at me as I continued to scroll through meaningless news articles.

After a good minute, I noticed that she wasn't stopping. I glanced up, raising an eyebrow. "Do I have something on my face?"

"Are you going to go to the Lotus Dance with Kai?"

Taken aback, I laughed nervously, and ran a hand through my hair. I had completely forgotten about him asking me. I hadn't seen him all day just yet, because he wasn't in science for whatever reason, but it was inevitable that he was going to go up to me as some point and ask.

After all the excitement in rescuing Cara with Genji, the Lotus Dance seemed so minuscule in comparison. I had come to the conclusion that Genji was probably going to go to the dance with someone else, so attending it hadn't really crossed my mind.

I shook my head. "I'm probably just not going to go," I responded honestly.

Maya shook my shoulders in frustration, as if she had known what I was going to say before I had even said it. "Why?! We're GRADUATING in a month, (y/n), you don't want to miss the last dance of your high school life!"

"It's not really that big of a deal," I scoffed.

"It is to Kai! He likes you so much, you know! Don't turn him down, baka, pleasssseeee!"

"I'm turning him down."

She groaned in frustration, letting go of my shoulders and collapsing to the back of her seat. Her long red hair, tied in a high ponytail, swung back and forth from her sudden motion, and she let out a huge breath of air. "Are you sure you're not turning him down for another reason?"

Damn. I knew she would catch on eventually. She was my best friend.

 I suppose that these feelings I had developed for Genji hadn't been exactly inconspicuous. Knowing what she was implying, a curt blush made it's way onto my face.