Chapter Forty Nine

(Y/N)'s POV

The scruffy man waved his pistol around in the air, firing off rounds. In his other arm was Airi clad in her school uniform.

Following my orders, she was shrieking fearfully, and trying to struggle and tear herself away from the man. But he wouldn't let her go. And she wouldn't really try to escape. 

It was all part of the plan.

A wad of cash stuck out from the man's back pocket, and I suddenly remembered how much of a pain it was to acquire such a large amount of money in order to pay him to hold Airi "hostage". He was a common criminal, but it still took a bit of convincing considering Overwatch would be involved.

From my hiding place, I had a proper vantage point of the whole situation. We were in a large parking structure almost completely surrounded by solid concrete aside from the many entrances on the upper levels - which would later serve as our way out. 

There was limited visibility from the outside, which would keep the police from interfering too easily.

Fast approaching, the sound of sirens echoed from the outside. My hand instinctively reached down to snake my fingers around the handle of my good knife. Anticipation bubbled inside me.

I could hear several car doors slamming. The man pointed the gun at Airi's head.

"Only the cyborg enters, or she's dead!"

From where I was, I couldn't see the cops outside. But I did see him walk in.

My blood boiled as the cyborg emerged into my view, glowing a vibrant green. His sword was sheathed, and he held his hands up peacefully. 

"Help me!" Airi pleaded. I resisted the urge to swear at her under my breath. She was horrible at acting. It sounded so fake.

"Here I am. Please... don't hurt the girl."

"Did you tell your cop friends to stand down?" the man barked.

"Yes. What do you want?"

He began walking backwards, pulling Airi with him. "Come further into the building." 

"Listen... I'm trying to hunt down my ex-girlfriend-turned-psycho-killer, so if you could do me a favor and just tell me what you want in exchange for the hostage..."

What?!

I had spent so much time thinking about what kind of person the cyborg could be. He had beaten me so easily before. I had expected someone stoic... someone mature and intimidatingly powerful.

But he sounded stupid.

I rolled my eyes. I felt bad for his ex. Who would date this guy?

That aside, it was going exactly as I had constructed it in my head. I followed them silently on the piping system right above their heads. He made sure to lead the cyborg behind a ledge that would obscure the view from the outside. 

Shadows covered this part of the parking lot. Once they were completely swallowed up by the darkness, it was safe to finally move.

I leapt down from the pipe, hurling a couple gleaming knives in the cyborg's direction. Shocked but not completely taken aback, he deflected them with his quickly-drawn tanto almost instantly. 

What he didn't realize was that the knives were merely a distraction. The real attack was me.

I crashed into him, throwing him back. With a loud screech, we skidded backwards on the black pavement. I pinned both his arms down with my legs before he could react and slipped another knife out, pressing the cold metal against his neck. "Hello, Genji."