Chapter Thirty Two

It was a lie. All a lie. I thought he had changed, that maybe, just maybe, we had a real shot together. But it looked as if that bastard hadn't changed as all.

I'd had my suspicions, my paranoia that he was still that playboy. But he had just been so damn convincing. Damn it. This is why I should've listened to Maya and stayed away. All that was left for me was that hurt.

The blonde was so pretty. Why should he stick with just one girl when he could have anyone and everyone? It made so much more sense to me now. But that didn't make it any less painful.

The music dulled around me, like I couldn't even feel it. My heart was breaking, but REALLY breaking. Not like that petty shit that I had had with other small crushes I had in the past.

I hadn't even realized that my vision had begun to blur, out of both sadness and a growing anger within me. I was angry at myself for falling, and I was beyond mad at him for making me think he felt the same way. I was mad at the blonde. I was mad at every girl he had been with. I hated everything all in one moment.

Angrily, I swiped my bare arm across my eyes to get rid of the tears that were threatening to fall any minute, which undoubtedly smudged the makeup that I had worked so hard on at home. I was such a stupid girl. He hadn't changed one damn bit.

I heard him yelling my name, and I had this horrible image of him actually running after me as I waded through the crowd. The last person I wanted to see was him. Regretfully, I had worn high heels, so I doubted I could outrun him if he was coming after me. But it didn't mean I wasn't about to try, no matter how futile it was, anyway.

I broke free of the crowd on the other side, looking around in distress. I had nowhere to go but out the front doors, so I raised the seams of my dress, more tears forming on the edges of my eyes, and ran as fast as I could, which didn't say a whole lot. I wasn't going very fast.

"(Y/n)!" I heard his voice calling out for me, picked out over all the noise going on in the dance.

I looked back, to see him breaking through the crowd as well. Genji's eyes swept the area rapidly, and landed on me. There was a pained expression on his face, and he called out to me again. "(Y/n)! Wait!"

I faced forward again, wiping at my eyes, angry that he could see just how hurt I was. I pushed the doors of the school open, out into the quiet night. I tried to run out into the darkness, but I felt a grip on my arm, stopping me. Of course he outran me. Of course.

The door slammed shut, cutting off all the noise from the inside minus a little bit of muffled music. I struggled against his grip on my arm, prying desperately at his fingers. "Let me go!" I cried.

"No! Listen to me, it wasn't what it seemed like!"

"Shut up! Let me go!"

I gave up struggling against his solid grip, and looked up at him, breathing heavily from all the emotions I was feeling as well as the exhaustion. I knew my makeup was beyond hope at this point, smudged all over my face ungracefully. Damn it. Tonight was supposed to be perfect.

I stared up at him solemnly, and then couldn't hold it back any longer. Tears fell from my eyes, and I drew in a cry-ridden breath. "You... you... didn't push her away. And she looked at you like you were the love of her life."

He reached up to dry the tears from my face, but I slapped his hand away with seething anger. His eyebrows creased with concern and sadness, watching me cry.

"I was telling her to get off. Just didn't want to hurt her accidentally, because she was drunk and insistent," he explained with a tone of desperation.