Chapter Five

DAY FIVE OF TUTORING GENJI

"I'm finished."

"You sure? Look through the flashcards again."

"I'm positive I have it all memorized."

I looked up from the book I was reading to see Genji spinning in his swivel chair, looking bored out of his mind. I grabbed the spare pillow on his bed and threw it at him. "Mada mada! Again!" I ordered.

To my surprise, Genji snapped up in his seat and was able to catch the pillow with one hand. I whistled with surprise, setting my book down with my page folded. "Woah, must be all that ninja training you've been up to."

He groaned, burying his face in the pillow and spinning in his chair at the same time. "Even that would be more interesting than this."

"Well, what would you suppose we do? If you've really memorized all the cards, we have an hour left over. I suppose I can leave early if you want-"

"No!" 

He lurched from his chair to the bed, making me laugh a little at his weird immaturity.He was laying on a pile of now-crinkled up paper, but he didn't care. "Please stay."

I considered his plea.

"Don't you have a shitload of friends you can call up if you're bored?" I questioned, tapping on the binding of my book. Genji's eyes stayed on my fingers out of boredom.

"Well yes, but I like you. You're refreshing. Intelligent. Feisty, if ya know what I mean..." he purred while wiggling his eyebrows.

"Feisty if ya know what I mean," I mimicked in a dumb tone of voice, before jutting out my tongue out at him angrily. "But seriously. What should we do? Raid the kitchen again?"

Genji's face lit up. "I can take you to the park. We can goof off and be stupid."

"Is that your idea of an appealing invitation?"

Ignoring my snarky remark, he clapped his hands together loudly and stated, "(Y/n), we're going to the park!"

Genji grabbed my hands and pulled me off the bed with surprising strength, making me knock over a pile of studying papers. I glared at him darkly and he muttered a small "oops". My eyes drifted through his facial features, taking the time to realize that he was sO FINE ACTUALLY. Not letting go of my hand, he led me out of his bedroom. We passed Hanzo in the hall, who gave Genji and I a wary look. I smiled apologetically.

We exited the Shimada household and walked side-by-side to the nearest park. It felt so strange to be walking beside Genji. He and I were basically polar opposites when it came to social status, personalities, and popularity. Since everyone in town knew who he was, they couldn't help but stare at the strange girl walking with him. I spotted a few people from school who recognized us and gawked.

I began to feel a little self-conscious. But Genji didn't even seem to notice nor care about the stares we were getting.

The past few days had been a little rough because of the annoying flirting and stupid comments he made. But, honestly, overall, he wasn't all that bad. He was optimistic and quirky company at the very least, which was something I hadn't had in a long time. And he let me eat all his food, so he didn't strike me as the mean type. Not that I'd ever admit that to his face.

As soon as we reached the park, I felt a bit happier upon seeing tons of little kids running wildly. It was such a vibrant and innocent scene. They seemed to be playing tag or hide and go seek, or something of that nature. Some kids were climbing the equipment, and some were belly-sliding down the slides.