Chapter Twenty Two

"Hey!" I screamed, running forward recklessly.

The three men turned around in shock, leading me to notice their ominous multicolored skeleton face paint. I gasped, feeling a sick kind of dread crawl up my spine. The face paint was a Los Muertos trademark for sure... but here? In Japan? 

That made no sense. The three men must've been copycat supporters or something similar to that.

My eyes flickered down to the omnic, who looked horrified that I had come to his rescue. I suddenly remembered what I had ran in there for in the first place, and a scowl formed on my face.

Ignoring the fact that I was intimidated by their skeleton paint, I hissed, through gritted teeth, "Leave him alone, you dog shits."

The men laughed together like I was some kind of joke. And maybe I was. Eyeing the leader's bat made me feel like I was a rabbit telling a trio of wolves to fuck off. I knew that the ending to this night probably wasn't going to be pretty.

The leader, who was bald with gigantic muscles, took a few steps forward towards me, an amused crooked smile on his face. I glared at him, trying to seem fearless, but my body was begging me to back up.

I could smell his stench; something like trash and weed mixed together. "You telling us what to do, little girl?" he giggled, like that was the most ridiculous thing he could think of.

I clenched my fast behind my back unconsciously. "He did nothing to you. Leave him the fuck alone, you sicko."

"Ooooo! Feisty little girl! I like you!" he mocked, recoiling in fake fear. "But the truth is, babycakes, the omnic DID do something. He looked at me kind of funny. Considering the uprising a few years ago, I think he had some evil intent. I'm doing the world a favor."

"You're beating a living thing and laughing as you do it. You don't care about the world. You're doing this for your own amusement!" I yelled angrily.

He raised an eyebrow, waving his bat around like he was drunk. He looked me up and down and whistled. "Why do you even care, hon? It's not even human."

"He's more human than a sick, twisted bastard like you will ever be."

"See, that just now, hurt my feelings," he growled, all traces of inept bewilderment now disappearing. His friends eyed each other, like they knew what was going to happen next.

The man was getting closer to me, and it suddenly became known to me that I was not leaving this alley unscathed tonight. I couldn't back up, because I didn't want to leave. I couldn't live with myself if I left that omnic there, crippled on the ground.

The omnic met my eyes, reaching out desperately, sparks shooting out of the bolts in his arm. "Go... run," he croaked with the remaining energy he had left.

The two stepped on his head and hand, halting all his movement.

I knew that I should run. But I wouldn't. I never do what I'm supposed to, now do I?

Pure adrenaline coursed through my veins, and my body went into self-preservation mode. I found that years of intense physical training from ballet and gymnastics had prepared my motor skills and strength. The man swung his bat at my head, but I was able to quickly evade the strike.

The bat made a whistling sound as it passed right in front of my nose. I stumbled back, realizing that I was going to have to fight. The man clicked his tongue in annoyance.

I tried to stay calm, breathing heavily as a pinch of panic set in. 

"Trust yourself," I told myself inside my head. "It's just a dance. Nothing more."