Chapter Forty Six

(Y/n)'s POV

Sombra scurried off to do what I had asked her to do, leaving me at the window to scrutinize the pair that was walking towards the building in the distance. It was dark out, but I could still make out their faces as they approached.

The man's leathery and scarred face told me that he was older, and the infamous white hair gave me confirmation that it was Morrison, or, by the name he'd been going by for a while, Soldier 76.

The woman, on the other hand, was pretty and looked relatively young. Her long blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail, and she stayed right by Morrison's side, displaying slight fear.

This would be easier than I thought. She was the doctor we wanted.

I knew it was unlikely that they came alone as they appeared, but I had precautions placed for just about every occurrence, so I wasn't worried.

"They're ready," Sombra told me as she came back to my side.

I nodded, and then walked away from the window towards the entrance to meet them.

The building we had chosen for this to take place was rather old, and far away from the nearest settlements to avoid police interference and whatnot. It was a big industrial building, with only a few entryways to prevent a full-on ambush.

I trusted that the Talon soldiers guarding the hostages would be enough to put up a fight against anyone who tried to flank while we were negotiating. And Sombra and I would hear any commotion anyway.

I opened the old wooden door, which creaked with age as I did so. The two saw us, and seemed to get more tense.

I adjusted my mask to make sure that I was really covering my whole face. Sombra crossed her arms and leaned against the doorway.

Once they were close enough within earshot, the two stopped.

The area outside of the building consisted of a few shipping containers, crates, barrels, and pretty much everything in between. They stood relatively close to the objects, probably out of fear that they would have to take cover at some point.

We spent a few seconds staring at one another, seemingly sizing each other up. Morrison had a gun strapped to his belt, and it seemed like Angela was armed with a pistol of some sort, which was to be expected.

But it's not like we couldn't take them if we really wanted to.

"We're here," Morrison barked gruffly, his hand brushing against his gun by instinct. "Where are the hostages?"

"Inside," Sombra said.

"Can we see them?" Angela asked quite forcefully.

I shook my head. "That's not what you're here for. You're here to negotiate."

"Alright. Let's hear it. What do you want?"

Right as the words left Angela's mouth, I heard something from the upper level of the building. The jingle of a bell.

I almost sighed with disappointment.

I had attached a bell to the windows on the upper level, so that if anyone were to try and open it, the bells would jingle and alert me.

Someone was up there. Clearly, someone was sent to flank while we were standing here talking. If I wanted to, I could just snap my fingers and the hostages would be dead. I could punish these Overwatch idiots just like that.

But I wanted to see where this would all go.

Morrison and Angela heard the bell jingle as well. Angela looked worried sick suddenly, her eyebrows knitting together as she glanced up at the building. Perhaps the one flanking was someone close to her?