Chapter Eleven

"Just answer the question."

"(Y/n), give me a break..."

"No, the only reason I agreed to let you come with me was so I could teach you so answer the question."

"Fine. It's... forty three."

"Good job."

I shuffled the deck of flashcards that I had in my hand. In the pile, there were a wide assortment of cards, ranging from all the different subjects Genji was taking at the moment. I wrote a few trivia questions during class and decided that this was the most effective way of teaching him at the moment.

The two of us strolled through Hanamura towards my ballet studio. My duffel bag full of all the stuff I needed hung over Genji's shoulder. Hey, when you have a slave, you gotta use it.

"Are you still in pain from your hangover?" I asked sternly.

"No. Just kind of tired really."

"If you suffer so much each time you get wasted, why do you bother going to those kinds of events?"

"Because. They're fun," he enunciated enthusiastically, nudging me like I should have already known that.

I snapped a thin rubber band over the deck of cards as we approached the studio. Genji seemed to notice, and he stared at it with awe and bewilderment. It was an old building, so it had all the qualities of an old dojo-type structure. It wasn't obvious that it was a studio, but it was cute and nicely decorated with panels of ballerina shadows lining the entrance.

Miss Mary seemed to have been waiting for us, because she threw the door open with excitement as we stepped up on the front platform. She smiled brightly at me, and then at Genji.

Mary had aged over the years. When I was a little girl, her skin was flawless like some kind of doll. I could now see the age lines beginning to form under her eyes and on her cheeks as she grinned. But the one thing that hadn't changed was her enthusiasm.

"(Y/n). Genji. Good to see you two."

She ushered us in hastily. "Do I get to watch (y/n)?" Genji probed.

"Nope!" I yelled in response, taking off my sweater. Mary narrowed her eyes at me.

"Of course you can," she told Genji through gritted teeth. It was a warning that this was something she would insist upon. Come to think of it, she said some stuff in the past about her wanting to break my shell so I could dance better.

Genji showered her in gratitude while she nodded and pointed to me. "You'd better get stretching. We'll begin immediately."

I tied my hair up so I could concentrate, shot a look at Genji out of self consciousness, and sat down on the floor to start doing some splits other kinds of stretches. He leaned against the wall, chatting quietly with Mary and glancing over at me with amazement.

"I'm pretty sure the human body was not meant to sustain that," he called out to me as I pulled my leg over the top of my head. I stuck my tongue out at him, and he did the same.

"Air splits," Mary ordered to me. 

I jumped into the air, easily forcing my legs into the splits position. As I landed, Genji whistled. I turned to him, face red with anger. "Don't you have some studying to do?" I hissed.

He opened his notebook for like half a second before he continued to watch me stretch. I internally groaned in annoyance, but got used to the feeling of him observing me.

Stretching was over as soon as it began, and Mary was already popping a CD into the stereo. That was the music that I was preparing to dance to for my audition at the big ballet show. I had been dancing to it nonstop for the past few days so much, I was beginning to get sick of the familiar beginning that consisted of violins and cellos.