Chapter Six

I felt so relieved when the lunch bell rang. I was in history class, and was struggling to stay awake as the lesson bored me out of my skull. I had already read up on what we were learning like the nerd that I am, so there was no point in listening to whatever my teacher was blabbering on about.

I sprung up out of my seat with glee, packed my books away in my bag, and ran to meet up with my friend Maya. We had been close since middle school. It was hard for me to make friends, so she was my one escape from loneliness. 

I found her waiting by my locker, twiddling away on her phone. She perked up when she saw me coming. Maya was a very pretty person. Long red hair tied up in a ponytail all the time, freckles dotting her nose, and a cute smile. She had moved to Japan from Ireland when she was thirteen, and we hit it off immediately.

Tucking her phone away in her pocket, she gave a wave. "How was history?"

"Arghhh, don't talk about it. It was so boring," I huffed, quickly grabbing my packed lunch from my locker.

The hallway was so loud, and there were a whole bunch of lunatic kids running around and jostling each other. Welp. That was lunch for ya. The endless flows of conversation filled my ears, as did the smell of fake food coming in from the cafeteria. Everyone was so dead-set on getting to the freedom of the lunch room, and Maya and I were not different. Maya stuck her tongue out at me.

"Ah, boo hoo, at least you're a genius. I just got my math paper back and I failed," she grumbled, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Hah! Maybe you should pay me to help you out, like I'm doing for Genji."

Maya seemed to freeze as I said his name. She gritted her teeth and held her lunch bag a little closer to herself, anger seeming to set on her delicate features. I was worried that I had somehow upset her. "You're... what?" she gasped.

We were on our way to the lunch room, but she had stopped walking, so I mirrored her. People grumbled at us in annoyance before parting to either side of us like a stream around pebbles. I raised a brow at Maya. "I'm tutoring Genji. Are you... good?"

"Why? Why are you tutoring him?" She emphasized the "him" part like he was the vermin of the earth.

"I know, I know... a playboy asshole but it's not too bad. I'm also getting paid, and I need the money for ballet."

"He's a bad person, (y/n). I wouldn't trust him for a second. My friend's heart was broken, courtesy of him."

"I'm tutoring him, not dating him. But I appreciate the concern. Really, I do."

Maya stepped forward and gripped my shoulder with her gorgeously painted nails. Her fingers sort of dug into my skin. "Okay, okay... if you say so. But just know that I don't approve of him at all."

------------------------

The two of us had a small table in the lunchroom that we had claimed earlier on in the year. The table had cracks and dirt smudges, so no wonder no one else wanted to sit there. But it was ours nonetheless. 

Maya was telling me about some cute boy she sat next to in math, and I nodded and giggled accordingly as I ate my lunch. Apparently his name was Erick, and he was "so obviously flirting with her". I was happy that she had finally met some kind of match.

"What does he look like?" I asked, biting into my sandwich.

Her eyes seemed to roll back in her head as she imagined him, and she heaved a sigh. "Dreamy. Like, model kind of dreamy."

"Shiet. And his personality?"

"He's the smart and shy type. Can you believe it? Exactly what I like!"