Chapter 12: "A Friend Meets A Foe"

After around five minutes of walking, you came across none other than Grace. Her long ginger hair was fixed in two braided pigtails and she was wearing a light wash denim jacket, black jeans with a tear in one knee, a white t-shirt and short brown boots. She smiled as she walked over, "Hello, (Y\N)!" she spoke happily.

"Hello, Grace." You replied with a weak smile.

"How have you been?" She asked you cheerfully.

"I've been good, how about you and Audrey?" You asked her.

"We've been great! Audrey just got accepted to be the head of an anti-monster committee and she's really excited." Grace responded with a big smile.

You scowled for a split second and let out a small sigh before you weakly smiled again. "I'm happy for her." You lied.

"I am too! She's never been this happy before and I'm just really proud of her." Grace chirped happily.

You gritted your teeth together in order to stop saying something offensive and nodded your head up and down slowly. "That's great," You spoke through your clenched teeth.

"Oh, how did the dinner with that guy go?" Grace asked you curiously.

"Hm? Oh! It went good, the poor thing couldn't cook for crap though." You replied with a chuckle.

Grace let out a small giggle, "Sounds like Audrey, to be honest."

"Oh, she's a bad cook?" You asked Grace with a tilt of your head.

Grace nodded, her ginger pigtails gently bouncing up and down as she attempted to stifle a laugh. "Oh, you have no idea. Once she blew up a pot roast in my microwave." She replied with a gentle chuckle.

"Oh wow, a pot roast?" You replied with a snicker.

"You bet, and that's not even the worst thing she's done." Grace replied with amusement in her bright green gaze.

"Oh really? What's another?" You asked her curiously.

"Well, she once made a grilled cheese sandwich with the plastic still on the slice of cheese." Grace replied with a giggle.

"Sometimes I think she's as stupid as those monsters." Grace added with a laugh.

You instantly froze at her comment and just stared directly into her green eyes. That comment had upset you greatly, but could you show it? What if she found out you were working with the monsters now? Would she actually abandon you over such a thing?

You bit into the insides of your cheeks and turned your gaze from her, you grumbled slightly before you turned back to her. "I need to get going, it was fun talking." You muttered as you turned away from the friend you were beginning to hate.

"(Y\N), are you a monster sympathizer?" She asked you in surprise.

You turned around and faced her directly, "Not exactly, but they don't deserve to be treated like dirt!" you hissed.

She frowned and crossed her arms, "But what about the safety of the local residents of Ebott City? The crime rate has gone up twenty-five percent since those 'monsters' appeared in the city." She pointed out.

"Those weren't crimes that monsters committed, Grace. Those where crimes performed by racist humans like yourself, humans are the real monsters in this world." You growled.

She stood there stiff as a board for a few moments before she stepped back slightly, looking over at you. "I cannot believe you truly think that." She spoke with a darker tone than normal.