Chapter 35: "For the Greater Good"

[Papyrus' POV]

The seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to an hour as I sat on the uncomfortable worn out chair outside of 'shit-stick' Smith's office. I had chewed at least fifteen toothpicks to ease my nerves and it's not helping that I can't even understand what they're saying inside of that office. For all I know, some real 'close up interrogations' could be goin' on and it's making me anxious as hell.

But after playing many different games on my phone ranging from knockoff Flappybird sequels to Tetris, the door to Mr. Smith's office opens and I quickly turn around to be greeted by (Y\N) with a nervous smile on her lips. A few red streaks of where tears had rolled down her face are still visible and it sends a pang of sympathy pulsing through my soul.

"Alright, Papy. It's your turn now. I'm sure it won't take long." She gave me a nervous smile and I stood up, quickly tucking my phone in my pocket. "alright, how was he today? shit-sticky?" I asked and she snorted, suppressing a laugh. "No, no. He was nice today. Don't worry at all, he wants to catch 'him' as much as we do." She responded in a surprisingly cheery voice. "welp, a'ight. wish me luck, kiddo." I spoke as I dipped my head to her. She nodded in acknowledgment before pulling me into a swift hug, causing a blush to appear on my cheekbones. I hug her back, holding her head against my chest for a second before stepping back. "I'll wish you lots of luck. Cya in a bit!" She responded and with a final wave, I stepped into that dreadful man's office, shutting the door behind me.

"Good evening Mr..." Mr. Smith began and I walked forward, sitting in the chair in front of his desk. "papyrus." I replied, leaning back in my chair. "Just, Papyrus?" He asked and I manspread, exerting my dominance. "mmmm, yep." I respond, yawning and he furrows his eyebrows. "Alright then, Mr. Papyrus. Please describe to me what this 'Austin' character looked like." He asked me and I tapped a finger on my jawbone. "around six feet tall, like, an olive skin tone... green eyes and blonde hair." I respond, looking at my phalanges, cracking them for a few seconds before looking back up at the suited detective. He is quickly writing down the information on his laptop and I stare at him, observing his features. This is the first time I have seem him this close and I begin to wonder why I am trying to keep (y/n) from liking this guy. He's at least ten years older than her and has a kid. Why am I worried about him stealing her away? Would he even do such a thing? I eye Mr. Smith up and down and roll my pinpricks. Yeah, the 'shit-stick' definitely would.

"Alright, Mr. Papyrus, when did Miss (L\N) first tell you about Austin?" He suddenly asked, drawing my attention back to his gray gaze. "ya know, ya don't have to call me a 'mister'. just call me papyrus or somethin'. formalities aren't needed." I murmured coldly. "Alright, then, Papyrus. I apologize. Now, please, answer the question. The more time we waste, the harder it'll be to find Austin." He replied and I am somewhat impressed by his lack of reaction to my remark. "a'ight, she didn't. well, she did after i came across him tryin' to kidnap her." I responded. "She didn't tell you?" He asked in surprise, lifting an eyebrow. "nope. but apparently she felt it was important to tell you." I mumbled in response. "i don't know why she even told ya. you didn't do much to stop 'em, did ya?" I remark in annoyance.

Mr. Smith blinked and moved his hand from his computer's mouse, leaning back in his chair. He folded his hands and looked me dead in the eyes. "Papyrus, there is no reason to treat me with such contempt. I am not trying to steal your girlfriend away from you." He spoke flatly and I grew silent. "I cannot help that she told me about this 'Austin' character first. And Papyrus, I could only do so much to protect her. After all, I have two jobs and I ended up being shot by a convict in a bar the night before the incident. I may have had a bulletproof vest on, but regardless, I had very painful bruising so I was working from home and comforting my son." He explained and I stayed silent as I pondered on what to reply.