Chapter 44: "Dreams and Disasters"

The hours tick by as you sleep in Papyrus' arms. Friendly dreams occupying your mind, causing you to feel at peace. But, all good things must come to an end—soon things take a turn. You enter yet another dream, one that seems normal at first. You and Papyrus are walking together in Ebott City Park. But your mind is screaming, and screaming to confess your hidden feelings at last.

So, after pondering what you'll say, you turned to him and stopped walking. "Papyrus, I have been meaning to tell you this for a long time. I—" You paused, and he stopped, glancing over. His 'bone'brows furrowed in confusion. "you've been meanin' to tell me what, kid?" He asked, leaning on one hip and taking a cigarette from his pocket. He quickly lit it with his lighter, then stuck it between his teeth gingerly.

You paused for a second and gathered all of your courage, then took a deep breath. "Papyrus, I like you. Every day, I fall more, and more in love with you." You confessed and his jaws fell open. He nearly dropped his cigarette onto the grass, but he promptly caught it, then placed it back into his mouth, then blew out a puff of smoke. "oh, yeah?" He questioned, his facial expression only showing nonchalance and a form of... Detestation?

Papyrus met your gaze head on as he took another puff of his cigarette in, then out before dropping it onto the sand. Then, he stomped on the butt with his red Converse. "well, did ya think i was gonna like ya back? especially after what you did?" He spoke flatly and your heart dropped out of your chest, then you began to tremble. "What?" You asked, your eyes filled with confusion.

"ya brainless humans are so stupid. i hardly like associating with a gal who attended monster protests. i know deep inside, ya hate me, bucko. you've been conspiring against us, ey?" He asked as he peered down at you. His gaze intense and striking as he stared through you. It hurt, not only his words, but the way he's looking at you as well. "No! I'd never-I regret doing all that shit, you know that!" You spoke in response, your voice wavering with emotion.

Papyrus took a step forward and grabbed your arm, yanking you closer with force. Then, an orange aura surrounded you as he lifted you to face him. A scowl was present on his skull as he looked at you unblinkingly. The abhorrence only growing more and more with every second. "that's not what maia told me. she told me all your dirty secrets, you bastard!" Papyrus hissed and your heart thudded in your chest. "i never knew you could be such a traitor. those two girls, you know, grace and audrey? they backed up the story." He continued on, then, he dropped you in midair and you fell onto the grass on your knees. You looked back up at him, holding out your hand as tears began to form in your eyes. "None of it's true, Papy I lo-" He cut you off, turning to the side before speaking brusquely. "don't you dare call me 'papy' again. stay away from sans and my friends. especially sans. he deserves to know much better people." He spoke, his voice filled to the brim with venom and you looked down as he began to turn and walk away.

But halfway away, he turned back to you and uttered these last sentences. "i never want to see you again, either. i see or hear you've been around and i swear i'll kill your sorry ass." He hissed, and you fell onto your hands, overcome with grief. He scoffed at this, cackling. "oh, you're such a crybaby. grow up, you ass, and live up to your mistakes. goodbye, (y/n). i hope to never see you again." He growled before turning back and disappearing into thin air.

And, that's it. Your eyes snapped open, only to see you're still in Papyrus' arms. Problem is, you've begun crying already and the tears just continue to intensify. So, you sniffle and pull away from him quickly. And as soon as you do that, he wakes up and looks to you with concern in his pinpricks. "(y/n)? everything okay?" He asked, and you just turned away, sniffling. "Yeah... I'm fine, go back to bed." You murmured, pulling your knees up to your chest. "kid, you're cryin'... it doesn't seem like you're 'fine'." He replied, reaching over and placing a hand on your shoulder. But, due to your dream making you paranoid that Papyrus truly hates you, you freaked out at this simple gesture and scooted away a smidge, making his hand fall onto the couch cushion.