Chapter 36: "Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe"

You and Papyrus laughed and happily walked side by side down the sidewalks of Lincoln Avenue. The Japanese maples glowed in the autumn sun, the vibrant orange and yellow hues are simply breathtaking and you can't help but smile as you walk down the path, observing every tree.

It wasn't too long before you and Papyrus finally made it to Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe. Its colorful purple, pink, orange and blue exterior isn't hard to miss. Papyrus hurried and fast-walked to the door of the store, opening it for you politely with a smile. "ladies first~" He cooed with a wink. "What a gentleman~" You cooed back with a grin as you quickly caught up, walking through the door. "Thank you, good sir!" You thanked him as soon as he walked in after you. "mmhm, madam." He snickered in response.

"Aha! I knew you'd be back some time, Russ!" Chuckled a deep, croaky voice. You turned your head to the counter of the shop and standing behind it was an older man, probably around 70. The man has a gray beard and gray hair. Along with that, he has brown eyes, chocolatey skin, and a wonderful smile.

"james! how are ya doin', pal?" Papyrus asked as he happily walked to the counter since nobody else was in line at the moment. Though, a few people sat at tables and conversed nearby. You followed him, smiling as you stood by his side.

"I've been good, ole pal! Though, I am sad to say I gotta quit soon. Doctor's orders." James sighed, tugging on the multicolored apron he was wearing. "doctor's orders?" Papyrus echoed, cocking his skull to the side in confusion. "Mmmhm, I have a heart condition. Doctor says it's too straining for me to work " he replied, sadness in his tone. "well, you don't need to work, james. didn't ya say ya just work for the hell of it?" Papyrus asked and James thought for a moment. "I know, but I work because I love seein' all the faces of Ebott and beyond... I've worked here since it opened 5 years ago. Luis hired me right off the bat, Russ. I love bein' here." James responded, a tinge of sadness in his tone. "ah, i'm really sorry, james... that really sucks... but hey, ya can still come 'ere! don't fret, bud. you can always visit from the tables rather than from behind the counter." Papyrus replied, obviously trying to cheer the older man up a bit.

"Yea, you're right... I can always make my mark and meet all the people another way." His frown lessened and he sighed, clearly still pretty upset. "But I mean, this town is getting more and more popular since you all showed up and so is this shop... It's gonna be sad not being able to meet all those wonderful people." James commented, scratching the back of his neck. "I was delighted when you and your little brother started coming, Russ, same with all your friends! It was getting to be rather boring seeing the same faces day after day... Until, boom! Monsters all over Ebott City!" He exclaimed and Papyrus let out a deep chuckle and you giggled. "yup, sounds about right. we all love ya, james. you're a cool ole chap." He replied and James smiled.

"Thanks Russ. Now... Hello, this must be (Y\N)!" James suddenly spoke which made you blink in confusion. "You know me?" You asked in confusion and he nodded, smiling. "Of course! Papyrus has mentioned you, miss. On top of that, Luis has mentioned how you are a model customer as well." James replied kindly, his eyes bright. "Oh, well it's very nice to meet you, Mr. James!" You responded politely, smiling. "Likewise, misses! It is a pleasure to meet you at last! Now, what would you two like on this fine autumn day?" He asked, leaning against the counter.

You looked down at the various metal containers of ice cream flavors, they all look so delicious. "may i have my special, james?" Papyrus asked, a chuckle present in his voice. "Of course. It is your favorite after all, Russ." James responded with a husky snicker.