Chapter 42: "Strange Squad Goals"

After a long night of fun and games, you looked at the clock to see that time truly does fly by when your having fun, for you thought it was merely 9:30 PM, but the true time ended up being an astounding 11:00 PM. Definitely later than Papyrus, or Sans meant to stay.

"OH STARS! IT'S WAY PAST MY CURFEW ALREADY!" Sans suddenly gasped, jumping up from his chair. "Oh, geez! You can't be serious! It's already that late?" Maia asked in response, cocking her head to the side. "'parently." Papyrus replied with a big yawn, stretching.

"I have no idea where the time went, but I'm extremely grateful I got to spend tonight with you three." You commented, smiling as you went to stand up, but, Papyrus quickly took your hand gently and squeezed it which made you stop immediately.

"likewise, ya know, i had a blast tonight 'n' stuff. let's do this more often." Papyrus agreed, a smile on his face. Sans brightened up at Papyrus' suggestion, his smile widening and his irises growing in his eye sockets. "THAT'S A BRILLIANT IDEA! WE MUST DO THAT IN THE FUTURE!" Sans shouted in response and Maia clapped excitedly. "Heck yeah!" Then, she paused, biting her lip, her smile disappearing for a mere second. She remembered that she doesn't live here, didn't she? That's sad. So, you gave her a gentle smile to hopefully cheer her up, which it seemed to do just a little bit.

"So, what're we doing now? You boys have to go, don't you?" You asked, biting your lip as you looked to Sans, then Papyrus. They exchanged glances, humming in thought and Sans tapped his chin with a phalange. "WELL-"

Sans was suddenly cut off by a loud knock on your front door. That caused concern to race through your mind. Especially since there's no way for the public to come into this apartment complex without the key. Unless, they broke in, or they're simply a neighbor. But a neighbor knocking at 11:00 PM? Unlikely. So, you bit your lip, turning to Papyrus, your (e\c) eyes holding fear within them.

"You don't think that's 'him', do you?" You asked, your heart beginning to thud in your chest. Papyrus turned his skull to the door and stared at it seriously. "i don't know..." He spoke quietly and with hesitation, you began to stand up, but he squeezed your hand again. "stop. just leave them." He spoke and you looked to him. "WELL, IT SOUNDS AS IF THEY ALREADY LEFT! I'M SURE IT'S JUST ONE OF YOUR NEIGHBORS ASKING FOR SUGAR!" Sans chimed in and your eyebrows furrowed. "At 11:00 PM?" Maia questioned and Sans shrugged his shoulders. "I MEAN, WHY NOT?" He responded and Maia clicked her tongue. "Huh, you have a point if they were baking, but why bother your neighbor at 11:00 PM?" Maia once again pointed out.

Sans was going to reply, but the knock repeated, even louder this time. It was almost laced with a sense of determination due to its commanding and brisk sound. This made your heart beat faster, and your grip on Papyrus' hand strengthen as you began to shake. "Oh God.... It's... It's..." Your voice began to waver due to the intense anxiety filling your head and it seemed Papyrus couldn't handle it, he stood up and let go of your hand. "i'm gonna deal with 'em." He rasped and your heart skipped a beat. "PAPY, NO! SIT BACK DOWN!" Sans commanded, but Papyrus started to walk forward anyways, causing you to stop his stride by grabbing a hold of his shirt. "No, Papyrus. H-he could hurt you!" You pleaded and he froze, then as he began to turn to you, you let go. "well, what're we supposed to do then?" He asked, sighing gently. "Let me go with you to open it, Papyrus." Maia spoke but you shook your head immediately. "N-no. Not you either, Maia." You spoke, getting up and walking to Papyrus' side, looking up at him. "no, you ain't opening the door." Papyrus spoke commandingly, his hand reaching forward and laying on your shoulder. "Y-you're right, I won't-alone... Papy will you... Uh... O-open the door with me?" You asked nervously.

Papyrus furrowed his 'bone'brows for a second, then let his hand fall from your shoulder as he nodded slowly. "only if you stand behind me." He sighed, continuing to trudge forward. You bit your lip and nodded, but as you followed in his footsteps, one more hearty knock sounded out. That make you quicken your pace, slipping past Papyrus to the peephole in the door.