Chapter 54: "Beneath the Surface"

[Papyrus' POV]

As soon as breakfast was over, I made my way outside. My meeting is approaching steadily and I need to get home so that I won't be late again. Boss man definitely wouldn't like that, but if he was around (Y/N) he'd understand why I've popped in late recently.

Every moment with her feels like time frozen. I lose all of my concept of time and every second blurs into the next minute.

I can't believe what she's done to me. I've never been the lovey-dovey kind of person, but I just want to shower her with affection and be with her all hours of the day.

But, I push my thoughts aside momentarily and teleport back home. Stressed, I quickly button my shirt up, then grab the nearest closest-matching tie and messily tie it around my neck.

And with that done, I run to our study and open my laptop, getting the Zoom link and opening my meeting.

Thankfully it's just online today, but even if I'd managed to miss this one, I'd be toast. Mitchell Hunt is an understanding man, but he can only take so much of his employees missing work. Which is understandable, of course.

I quickly write my name into the box on my laptop's screen and lean back as everything loads up.

The screen goes black momentarily, but I am quickly met with my boss's face within seconds.

"Good morning, Papyrus. I see you're actually early today." He greeted me.

"mornin', boss. knew i couldn't just keep showing up late because of the missus." I chuckled.

"Good, good. Well, let's get started, shall we?" He asked, his brown eyes looking over his glasses.

"'course." I nodded, and with that, the meeting began.

---------------------------------------------

After an hour and a half, the meeting finally ended and I sighed as I closed my laptop lid and practically ripped the tie off my neck.

I hate ties, I have no idea how Mr. Smith wears these all the time... Hell, I don't even have a windpipe and it still bothers me. He must be desensitized to the sensation or something.

Shaking the thoughts from my head though, I stand up, unbutton my shirt, and start walking to my room.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm through work for the day. Mitchell has declared it a half-day due to it being his son's birthday.

I'm thankful for that, after all, my cranium is spinning with thoughts. They've been distracting me all day. At least, ever since (Y/N) told me about her dream, and the subsequent run-in with an all too familiar face.

I cannot believe they had the nerve to jump into my girlfriend's life. My own dad. The person who raised me is now making my life—and my girlfriend's life a living hell.

Their visits in my dreams weren't enough to satisfy their interests... so they had to go after her too? It pisses me the hell off.

I'm trying my best to help them, but in getting my attention, they're haunting me. It's almost constant.

Groaning, I grit my teeth as I push through the doorway to my bedroom, throwing the tie on my bed immediately. And not long after, my button-up, and t-shirt joined it.

Shirtless, I head to my dresser and pull out one of my black tank-tops and quickly put it on. Then, I walk back through the house onto the front porch and sit down on one of the seats. I quickly take a cigarette from the pack in my pocket, light it with my lighter, then begin to smoke it. Hopefully this'll act as some stress relief for me now.