Chapter 55: "Bad Blood"

After a few more fans of Napstaton had showed up at Muffet's, the shop's business began to grow slow. It's not uncommon for this time of the day, so you're not too surprised.

So, to pass the time, you decided to clean the counter and restock the donuts.

While lining up the various flavors of donuts, you heard footsteps approaching the counter so you quickly paused and stood up.

Evan stood on the other side of the counter, his brown eyes looking right back at you. It made your heart rate go up.

You managed to smile sweetly though, looking left and right before saying the classic "May I help you?" line.

"Yes, before I head out may I get a regular iced coffee with a dash of salt?"

"An iced coffee with a what now?" You blinked in surprise, causing him to laugh.

"Yes, you heard me right. But, it's not for me. It's for my buddy Raj back at the office. He says it makes the coffee less bitter." Evan replied with a shrug.

"Gotcha, well I'll make sure to get that right to you, Sir." You gave him a smile, relieved that he's not a complete wackjob like you thought he was.

He quickly paid the $2.29 charge, then moved down a bit to wait.

You swiftly made the coffee, then rolled back to him, setting it on the counter. "I hope he enjoys it!" You chirped and Evan smiled, nodding as he leaned his hip against the counter.

"Me too." He spoke, then his eyes connected with yours again and you began to grow anxious. He must've sensed this because he instantly took a step back and held his hands back.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I've just been meaning to speak with you." He spoke.

You observed his hands, he doesn't have a wedding ring. But, that doesn't mean he's up to no good, right? Perhaps you're just sensitive from the last situation.

You gritted your teeth as you nodded and managed to utter a normal-sounding "About what?"

"You see, my name's Evan Connor. I'm an editor over at 'Mt. Ebott Times'." He started and you let out an audible sigh of relief which made him stop in his tracks, lifting an eyebrow.

"Pardon me?"

"Oh, excuse me Mr. Connor. I thought you were connected to my stalker. You were scaring the living daylight out of me." You admitted and his brown eyes immediately grew empathetic and he started apologizing.

"My greatest apologies, ma'am! I had no idea of the circumstances, I definitely should've been more formal and to the point." He dipped his head and you scratched your scalp, looking around, surprised to see no new customers in sight.

"I will refrain from doing anything of the sort again." He vowed, dipping his head again.

"I am sure many will thank you because of it, Mr. Connor."

"Oh, please just call me Evan."

"Of course, now, what was it that you were looking to ask me?" You asked, clicking your tongue.