Chapter 48: "Consolation"

As the police cars still surround the area and you await to be asked some questions, you still cannot seem to focus. Time is going by at an odd rate and it's like you're moving in and out of consciousness. Sometimes you'll hear Maia trying to speak to you, and other times all you'll hear are your own thoughts.

You wrap the blanket around yourself silently, tears forming in the corners of your eyes as your mind explores the situation all over again. You tried to save an awful person for no apparent reason other than kindness and instinct. But in doing so, you risked your life. He had a pistol, if he'd come to, one shot to a vulnerable area and it could have all been over. Your budding relationship with Papyrus, your job at Muffet's, your fight against discrimination, et cetera... It'd all be gone in a flash.

And, all that was risked for some deviant's life when it's unlikely he'll even live. At least, that's what you assume. Nobody has told you anything, and it's unlikely that you will even know for a while. But, if he does live, then at least he'll get the proper chance to be punished in prison. Well, you hope. That's up for the jury to decide.

You wiped the corners of your eyes with the blanket as you exhaled gently. You sniffled and looked up toward the cloudless, starry night sky. This beautiful evening does not seem to match this cataclysmic disaster of a night. And, as you focus on the sky, more tears form in your eyes as they begin to trail down your face. You don't even bother wiping them this time as you look toward the various officers accessing the crime scene.

But, soon you heard the sound of someone running down the sidewalk, their shoes flopping against the concrete loudly, and in a panic, you hid under the blanket. "maia, where's (y/n)?!" You suddenly heard Papyrus' voice ask. He sounded very concerned and worried. Wanting to see him, you slowly removed the blanket and peered over at him. Instantly, your gazes connected and he ran the rest of the way over. "Sir, this is a crime scene, you aren't allowed-!" Suddenly a police officer spoke as he began to fast-walk over, but, Mr. Smith quickly stepped in from the side and stopped him by placing a hand on his chest. "Officer Rodwell, it's alright. He's allowed." He spoke suddenly. Officer Rodwell looked toward Papyrus hesitantly, then sighed and walked away. Mr. Smith didn't say anything, just gave a slight nod as he got back to work.

And, before you could speak, heavy panting and heavier trudging came from a few feet away. Everyone turned to see Sans still in his pajamas as he made his way over. The pajamas are what you'd expect from him, a plain black tee with a pocket on the side, and pajama pants with miniature tacos spread across them. And what made it all better was he was also wearing a gray pair of bunny slippers.

"PAPYRUS! YOU ABANDONED ME NEARLY A BLOCK AGO!" He complained and Papyrus coughed, rubbing the back of his neck. "sorry, bro, somethin' happened in my skull and i just bolted." He apologized with a sigh. Sans crossed his arms and walked closer. "OH, TRUST ME, I SAW." He huffed, then neatly sat beside Maia. "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! I HAVE NEVER SEEN PAPYRUS RUN, LET ALONE THAT FAST." He asked and Papyrus sat beside you. You instantly leaned toward him, resting your head against his chest as you sniffled.

Unlike his brother, Papyrus was still dressed in his normal garb. His trademark orange hoodie, green cargo shorts, and, of course his bright red sneakers have enough familiarity to bring you comfort in this distressing time. Or, perhaps that's just him and his calming atmosphere.

He wraps one of his arms against you and sighs, "mr. smith called me and told me that austin had showed up with a gun to get revenge on (y/n)... he was gonna try and shoot 'er, but the undercover officer was still on watch, so he confronted him and both men pulled their guns and fired... er—sorry, that's about as much as i heard. i kinda tuned him out."