Chapter 47: "A Good Samaritan"

"What's for dinner, (Y\N)?" Maia asked as she picked up two of the shopping bags, walking to the kitchen. This snapped you out of your thoughts and you shook your head. "Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and steamed carrots and broccoli." You responded, grabbing the remaining bags and walking to the kitchen behind her.

Maia set her bags on the counter, then took your bags from your hands as you began to put up the groceries. "That sounds really good!" She exclaimed, then licked her lips. "And what about dessert?" She turned to you, grinning as her eyes twinkled with curiosity. "Only Mrs. Agatha's world famous cookies with some vanilla ice cream." You remarked and Maia's face lit up. "Is that the 'dope grandma'?" She gasped and you smiled, snickering as you nodded. "Yes. She is very much the 'dope grandma'." You giggled and Maia clapped her hands together. "Yes! Today I have been blessed!" She remarked enthusiastically. "Me too, me too."' You uttered in response, then put your focus back on putting away all the goods you'd bought at the store.

And, after around 7 minutes, everything was put up neatly—save the ingredients for dinner of course. Maia's mouth was practically already watering, so you made sure to quickly get to work on dinner. You put the potatoes in a pot of water, turning them up to high and began putting together the iconic recipe for the delectable meatloaf. Maia put together the savory sauce, and you focused on the 'loaf' itself.

"You know what happened on my way back?" You suddenly asked Maia, then turned to her as you began to mix the meat, spices, and ingredients together. "Nuh-uh, what happened?" Maia asked curiously and you sighed. "Audrey—" You began. "Oh, God! No!" She suddenly exclaimed, cutting you off. Quickly realizing what she did, she blushed in embarrassment and covered her mouth. "Sorry, continue."

You giggled, then nodded. "She was holding a protest just down the street. I'm honestly scared at how many people she had there. Her band of protestors is growing at an alarming rate." You sighed. "I must've not seen her because we bumped into each other and that's when the crap started to happen." You continued, then bit your lip. "Oh geez..." She spoke softly, stopping what she was doing to listen to you fully. "I know. And, after a short exchange of words, she dug her nails into my arm, and shortly after that, she tried to slap me." You sighed. Maia gasped at this, and ran over, gently lifting your sleeve. Almost immediately she saw the irritated nail marks on your skin and scowled. "That woman is an absolute bad apple!" She remarked with distaste and you nodded. "On the bright side, I know I convinced one man that her words are just filth... Though she ended up slapping him too." You shook your head. "Despite that though, I invited him to Muffet's and he seems to be more open-minded now." You remarked and Maia let out a small smile. "Well, that's good! I just hope it isn't just him that you made question her teachings." She remarked, then you bit your lip and nodded.

"Now that I'm thinking about it, I did hear murmurs of agreement coming throughout the crowd. Perhaps I was able to make a small impact." You replied, then she nodded her head. "I definitely hope so! After all, if people are willing to listen to a woman who'll assault people to get her point across, then we're screwed." She sighed.

You clicked your tongue, sighing as well. "Dammit, you're right." You began, tapping your fingers against the cool kitchen counter. "I mean, there have been worse people in history, but that doesn't make her behavior any less excusable." You continued. "Yeah, agreed. And, every villain sadly starts off small." Maia spoke and you looked down, your heart nearly dropping out of your chest at your sudden realization. If the discriminatory part of humanity somehow convinces the councils and authorities of this country that monsters need to go, they'd find it easy to drive them back to where they'd been hidden for hundreds of years. All it takes is a majority vote for such a catastrophe to occur, and what happens after that? Strong condemnation, or jubilation?