The Beginning, The Middle, And Now

~~~

"Ally..." Uncle Merle walked back into the living room after daddy called him into mommy's bedroom. "Come say goodbye to your mom."

I was sitting on the floor, waiting for him to get back to finish our game. Uncle Merle and I were stacking blocks to see who could build a higher tower without it falling over.

"Say goodbye?" I stood up, careful not to knock my block tower over.

Uncle Merle nodded, tears welling up in his eyes. "Yes."

"Where is she going?" I asked before running up to him. He lifted me in his arms so we were face to face.

"You know her sickness?"

"Her cancer?" I'm not dumb, Uncle Merle. But I didn't say that out loud, especially because he looked like he was about to burst into tears.

"Yes. She's... She's going to heaven. Because of her cancer." I don't respond and he squeezes me tight, turning to walk into Mommy's room.

Mommy is lying in a big bed. She has needles in her arms. Uncle Merle puts me down on the floor and I walk towards Mommy's bed. I look up at daddy who is holding Mommy's hand.

He's crying too. "Daddy?"

Daddy smiles down at me, tears running down his cheeks. He picks me up, squeezing me against his chest. "Ally..."

"Daddy, why are you crying?" I ask him, looking up at his face. I wipe one of his tears away with my small hand, but he only cries harder.

Daddy shakes his head. "You have to say goodbye to Mommy now."

"Why?" I ask, not really aware of what's happening. I look down at Mommy who is crying as well, looking up at us. "Won't I see her again?"

I then look back up at Daddy who sets me down on Mommy's bed, right next to her. She wraps her arm around me, snuggling me against her cold, skinny body. I look up into her bright, forest green eyes. I imagine her long blonde hair that used to fall over shoulders, but she's bald now.

Though, she is still, and will always be, beautiful.

"We'll see eachother again. One day. But, hopefully, not anytime soon." She says as tears fall down her face.

"But..." I can feel the tears filling up in my eyes as well. "I'll miss you."

Mommy cries harder, pulling me into a hug. "I'm going to miss you too, Ally. You're such a beautiful, strong, young girl."

I wipe nose on my sleeve, letting the tears run out of my eyes like rain. "I love you, Mommy."

Mommy hugs me again, and I can hear her balling her eyes out. "I love you too, Ally."

Then Daddy wraps his arms around both me and Mommy in one great big family hug. The last one I've ever gotten.

And that is the last memory I have of my Mom.

* * *

Three months after Mommy died, Daddy was taken away in handcuffs by these big, bad men.

He kept fighting against their grip they had on him, and apologizing to me over and over again.

He said he'd be back. To not worry...

He lied.

Uncle Merle came over and told me everything was going to be okay, and that I was going to be living with a different family for a few months.

And then I'd be with Daddy again...

That was also a lie.

* * *

I've moved from foster home to foster home my whole life. From nine years old to sixteen, when the apocalypse started, I lived with random families.

That year, at nine years old, I lost both my parents. One to cancer, and one to alcohol. And I never saw them ever again...

Or so I thought.

~~~

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Ally." Daryl stared at me with sympathetic eyes. He looked as if he wanted to cry.

"Aye, don't sweat it. Doesn't really matter anymore." I answered, waving it off, avoiding eye contact. "Now," I sat at the edge of the bunk bed. And that was when I realized this was the first time I've laid in an actual bed in eight months. "I get to ask the questions."

Rick nodded. "That was the deal... Just one more thing..."

I sighed, looking up into his, dare I say, bright beautiful eyes. "Yes?"

"Where were you when all this started? You're not with anyone... You don't have a camp, you're only fifteen, sixteen years old. How did you get by?"

I hesitate. How did I get by? I usually tend to not think about it.

"Well... When it first began, I was with my foster mom and sister. My foster dad, brother and older sister... they... they never came home from the baseball game they had went to. My mom was the first to go. Bit while trying to run to the car. I had to put her down. Then, it was my sister and I. We stayed in that house for the first few weeks until the town was overthrown by zombies. We got away, camped in the woods. After she was bit, I had to put her down too. After that I was alone. Joined a group or two, left without saying anything...."

I looked at Daryl and I could see the pain on his face he's feeling for me, so I had to look away. I could tell he's blaming himself for the hell I've been through, but he's probably seen some shit too. "What about you? Where were you? It's my turn to ask the questions now."

Rick nodded, seeing I didn't want to talk about the past anymore. "And it's good question indeed."