Wayward

(Carl POV)

I was walking Ally back to her cell as we talked about words and how people pronounce them
weirdly. We stopped once we reached Ally's cell, and she turned so we were face to face.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow." She says, staring into my eyes. She smiles and I can tell she's happy. She looks happy. Even the energy she's giving off is happy.

"Tomorrow." I smile back at her because she's just so cute and I could stare at her for hours.

I want to ask her out. I really like her. But, I don't know if she likes me in the same way. Beth always makes jokes about us being a couple and Ally never denies it, but... maybe she's just joking around.

She does have that sarcastic/joking humor. But, in that moment, her staring at me and me staring at her, I think about kissing her. Just one kiss, really fast, right here, right now.

But, I don't want to ruin our friendship. What we have going here is great, and I don't want to screw it up, so I force myself to look away from her beautiful face.

I have to, or else I will kiss her. She steps into her cell and I quickly run into mine before I do anything stupid.

Oh Ally... Never did I think that I, would be caught in the way you've got me.

~~~
(Ally POV)

My first mistake was walking into the room.
My second mistake was stopping to talk to Glenn.

"Hey, got any toothpaste I could borrow?" I ask, looking up at the young Korean.

"Yeah." He swallowed the stale cereal he was eating and acknowledge the corridor. "In mine and Maggie's cell."

"Cool." I nodded. "Thanks." I turn to walk back into the corridor before Glenn stopped me.

"Wait."

I look back at him, waiting to see what he wanted. "What?"

"You can play guitar?"

I sighed loudly, rolling my eyes. "Okay, who told you? It was Beth, wasn't it? BETH!"

Glenn chuckles, standing up from the table where he was just eating breakfast. "Can you play for us?" He acknowledged Maggie behind him, still sitting at the table.

"Nope, sorry." I quickly respond, turning to walk back into the corridor.

"Why not?" Glenn asks, sounding serious now. I look back at him, debating or not to tell him the truth.

"Why do you want me to?" I ask, my voice timid and quiet.

Glenn shrugs. "We haven't heard live music in forever."

I sigh, staring into his dark brown eyes, crossing my arms. "I can't."

"Why not? Did you forget?" He gives me a joking smile to lighten the mood. I give him a weak smile before looking back at Maggie, who I can tell is looking right through me.

I shake my head. "No." I look back at Glenn who is serious once again. "I didn't forget."

Glenn shakes his head. "You don't have to tell me."

I nod, looking around. "Fine." I finally answer, composing myself.

Glenn stares at me, waiting for me to say more, but I don't. "Fine... what?"

"I'll play something for you." I uncross my arms, letting them loosely fall to my sides. "But later. After my shift."

"Really?"

"Will you give me an extra five minutes in the shower?" Glenn is after me for showers, and he always kicks me out when it's exactly his time to get in.

Glenn groans but gives in. "Fine."

I nod, heading back into the corridors, and before I walk into Glenn's cell to get the toothpaste I hear him laugh. "YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!"

I laugh at his reaction. I didn't think he'd be this happy.

~~~

I totally forgot about the whole guitar thing with Glenn. Carol and I had just gotten off our shift, and she told me about her daughter Sophia for the whole time. I was sad and feeling pretty crap. I felt bad for Carol and what she's been through. I just wanted to curl up in bed and go to sleep.

But, as soon as I opened the door to our cell block with Carol behind me, everyone was in one room, sitting around and talking. Then, everyone stopped and looked at Carol and I. My stomach dropped and I could feel the anxiety building up inside me.

F*ck, Glenn, I'm gonna kill you.

My eyes locked with Glenn's as I walked deeper into the room. "What the hell, Glenn?"

He chuckled, walking up to me. "What?"

"I said you and Maggie, not the whole group!" I yell whisper to him as everyone goes back into their own conversation.

"Come on, Ally." He nudges my shoulder. "It'll be fun."

I roll my eyes as he hands me the guitar. "Add another ten minutes to my shower. No, wait... fifteen!" I add time onto our deal.

Glenn sighs, still smiling. "Fine."

"I'm not very fond of you right now, Rhee."

"I know, but you'll forgive me, Dixon." He ruffles my hair and I roll my eyes again.

Soon, we're sitting in a circle, all eyes on me and I don't make eye contact with anyone. "Hey, Beth." She was right next to me.

I didn't want all eyes on me and I didn't want to do this alone. "Do you know Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas?"

She nods. "Yeah."

"You sing, I play?" I ask, pleading with my eyes. "Please."

Beth giggled, nodding. "Sure."

We wait for everyone who is in their own conversation to quiet down, and I low key wish everyone will forget and that it's time for bed. I then lock eyes with Carl. I stare at him with wide eyes, feeling my face flush. He gives me a warm smile.

"It's okay." He mouths, seeing the panic on my face. "Relax."

I nod, taking a deep breath, giving him a weak smile.

"Okay," Hershel shuts up the group. Dammit. "What are you gonna play us, Ally?"

"Beth is gonna sing, too." I quickly tell him, not answering his question out of nerves.

He nods and everyone is quiet, waiting for us to continue. I give Beth a quick smile before looking down at the instrument in my hands and place my fingers on the strings.

Beth waits, as I play, for her to come in. "Carry on my wayward son..." She begins on cue, in perfect pitch. "There'll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest... Don't you cry no more."

There was about a minute and a half part where it's just the guitar, so I stared down at the instrument, trying to get every little note correct. I didn't look up at all and just decided to pretend like no one else was there, or else I'd get nervous and screw up.

"Once I rose above the noise and confusion, just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion, I was soaring ever higher, until I flew to high..." Beth sang beautifully.

And after we finished the five minute song, I was quite proud of both of us. I smiled up at Beth and high fived her. Just as everyone had started clapping, I looked over at them, remembering they were there.

I found Carl's eyes already looking at me. He smirked and I smiled at him, silently thanking him in my head.

"You two are very talented!"

"Good job!"

"That was great!"

"Thank you, I only did this so Glenn would give me more time in the shower." I say without thinking, but everyone laughs anyways. They thought I was kidding.

Hilarious.