Goodbye Friend

(Ally POV)

"I'm governor, and I don't want to hurt you." The man, who apparently called himself the 'governor', loosened his grip on Noah, but still held the knife close to his throat.

I took a deep breath, clenching my fists, trying to control my anxiety and fear. "Why are you lying?" I asked him. "You just killed our friends."

"Your 'friends' killed our people." The man argued, his accent thick. "I'm sorry but they were not who you think they were."

That got me mad. I continued to clench my fists, trying to control my breathing. "What are you going to do to us, then?" I asked. "Kill us too?"

"What?" The man chuckled lightly. "No, I said I didn't want to hurt you."

"Then why are you holding a knife to my friends neck?" I ask, staring into his eyes.

"So you don't try anything stupid." The man replied, giving me a look. I didn't say anything. He's smart. "You two weren't there when your so called 'friends' killed my men... so I don't want to hurt you." He repeated. I glared at him. "We have a community. Woodbury, just a few miles down from here... Would you like to come back with us?"

I hesitated, breathing heavily. "You just killed our people. Why would we go anywhere with you?"

"I don't think you understand." The man spoke, gripping Noah harder. I had to stop being so stubborn and think of plan to save Noah. "They killed my people. For no reason at all. They couldn't be trusted." I don't respond. The man looks between Noah and I. "You two look strong. Smart. We could use two kids like you in Woodbury."

I hesitate, looking at Noah. "Well, sh*t." I swear. It's a code Noah came up with if a situation like this were to happen. It means 'don't worry, I've got a plan.' Ironic, isn't it? "How do we know you're not lying?" I ask.

The governor nods, speaking the truth. "You don't."

I nod as well, crossing my arms, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. "Alright." I decide. "We'll go with you."

The man smiles. "Wonderful." He loosens his grip on Noah, letting him free. Noah breaks away, running up to hug me. I squeeze him and he rubs my back. I pull away quickly, looking at the governor. "You okay?" I whispered to Noah.

"Yeah." He nodded, looking in the governor's direction as well.

"Well, come on." The governor spoke. "The truck is this way." He turned around and I slowly squatted, picking up my gun. I stood up, pointing it at the governor. I pulled the trigger and the bullet went right through his shoulder.

"Ah!" The governor yelled in pain, falling against a nearby tree. "Bastard!"

He reached into his jacket, pulling out his own gun. I quickly grab Noah's hand. "Run!" I yell. The governor shoots at us as we run, me still gripping Noah's hand.

When we're pretty far and I knew the governor wouldn't come after us with a bullet wound, Noah stops, so I stop too, our hands still connected. I turn around, breathing heavily. "Come on, we should-" But I stop talking when I look down at him.

He is sitting on the ground, holding the bloody hole in his chest with his free hand. My heart sinks into my stomach and tears fill my eyes. "Rory..." He begins, his breathing heavier than mine.

I kneel down to his side, gripping his hand tighter. "Noah..." I wipe my tears, trying to stay strong. Tears fill his eyes as the color drains from his face. "You're going to be okay. I'll make sure of it." I assure Noah, but I don't know who I'm trying to convince more: me or him.

Noah shakes his head, grunting in pain. "No, Rory... I'm going to die."

I shake my hand, squeezing his hand harder. "I'm so sorry, Noah." I'm now sobbing.

He smiles the best that he can. "It's not your fault." He leaves a moment of silence between us before continuing. He hasn't got much time left. "Listen to me, Rory. You have to stay alive. You have to beat this world. For me. For Jamie. For everyone who deserves a future."

I sob, trying to control my wheezing and shaking, taking in his words. "You deserve a future."

He shakes his head. "Apparently it wasn't for me... I'm counting on you, Rory."

I nod, holding his hand against my cheek, squeezing it as tight as I could. "I'm so sorry, Noah."

"Me too." He smiles in effort to comfort me. "Now go."

I stare at him, flabbergasted. "What? No. I'm not leaving you like this." I argue.

"Rory, I'm going to die. I don't want you here for that. I want to be alone." He says, sniffling.

I shake my head again. "I'm not gonna let you turn into one of those things." I tell him.

"I have my gun." He insists. "I'll do It before I go out."

I sniffle, shaking my head, trying to stay strong, but the tears keep coming. I'm going to lose my best friend...

"Rory, please." Noah pleaded. I hesitate, wishing it would have been me and not him. I then nod, it's what he wants, so I'm gonna give it to him.

"Okay."

Noah nods, biting his lip. "Thank you... Now go. Before they come back."

I nod, gathering my shit. I look at Noah when I'm ready to take off. He looks how he is; dying. I guess that's good then, considering the circumstances. "I'm sorry, Noah." I kiss his forehead, giving his hand one last squeeze.

I hand him Jamie's bunny and he holds it in his bloody hand. He shakes his head. "I can't take this."

I nod. "Yes you can."

Noah shakes his head again, holding Bunny out to me. I take it and Noah holds on by the animal's arm. I pull the bunny towards me, not realizing, and it's arm easy rips off. Noah laughs, coughing up some blood in between. "I guess I'll keep this half."

I nod, trying to give him one last smile. "It's a good half."

Noah nods, peering up at me with his big brown eyes. "Goodbye, Rory."

I take a deep breath, swallowing my fears. "See you later, Noah."

Goodbyes aren't really my thing. I will see him again. Just maybe not in this life.

I stand up as Noah smiles at me. I give him my best fake smile before turning to leave. And I don't look back.

From this day forward, I'm going to live for Noah. I'm going to beat his world for Noah.