Our Cell

"Hey, Carl, Ally?" As soon as Carl and I walk into the prison, after what wasn't supposed to be our shift but we worked anyways, Rick stops us to talk.

"Hey, Dad." Carl greets his father.

"Hello, Rick." I respond.

"I want to ask you two something..." He stands up from the bench, holding Judith in his arms. "You guys mind sharing a cell? We need some extra room with all these people here..."

Carl and I look at each other, talking with our eyes, as if to say just act normal. Rick still doesn't know we're dating. Both Carl and I look back at Rick who's looking back and forth between us. "Yeah." Carl answers, nodding.

"Sure." I shrug, nodding along with him.

"Alright, thank you." Rick begins to turn away to his feed his daughter. "And use Carl's cell. It's closer to the exit."

"Will do." I answer, giving the Grimes father a thumbs up. Then when Rick turns his back, Carl grabs my hand, grasping his fingers around it.

"Come on, I'll help you with your stuff." Carl states before pulling me along into the corridors.

We then burst into laughter once we're alone in my cell. Carl squeezes my hand, wiping his tears from laughing so hard. I don't even know why it was that funny... it just was. Carl pulls my hand, pulling me closer to him. "If only they knew." He shakes his head.

Carl places his lips on mine as I wrap my arms around his neck and his arms snake around my waist. "Oh yeah... They'll definitely regret this one."

Carl presses his lips back to mine real quick before resting his forehead against mine. "Come on," He states out of breath, opening his eyes. "I'll help you get your stuff into my cell."

Since I had finally cleaned my cell, it would be easier to get the things into his cell. I give him one last kiss before pulling away. "Here," I go under my bed and grab my now empty black backpack. "Fill this with clothes."

Carl nods, taking the bag before turning to open the dresser drawers. "Now you have an excuse to clean your cell. Because now you'll be living with me." Carl jokes, stuffing random items into the bag as I fold up my blanket and get Bunny from under the pillows where I usually hide him.

"Shut up." I laugh, turning my head to look at him. "You better not be going through my underwear drawer." I tease.

"Too late." Carl turns around, tossing the bag in my direction. I didn't have many clothes so obviously it didn't take him long.

"You dirty cowboy." I joke, shaking my head, throwing my bag over my shoulders. I pick up the pillow, blanket and Bunny and hold them in my arms. Carl looks down at Bunny and reaches for him.

"Who's this?" He asks, examining the stuffed toy in his hands.

"It..." I bite my lip. Why do I even still have that torn up old thing? "It was Jamie's. She... She told me to take care of it for her." Right... That's why.

Carl gives me a sympathetic smile. "Why were you hiding it? I think it's sweet you still have it." He places Bunny back down on the blanket I'm holding.

I shrug, looking down at the ground. "I didn't want people thinking I'm weak..."

Carl shakes his head, grabbing my chin softly but firmly, to make sure I look him in the eye. "You're not weak."

"The only reason why I have the stuffed animal is because I was weak in the first place, Carl." I tell him.

"No." He shakes his head again, as if I've got it all wrong. "You still have it because you made a promise to your sister."

I didn't say anything. Damn, you got me there, Grimes.

"Now, let's go." Carl takes the things from my hands and I stare up at him, confused. "What?" He asks. "What kind of a person would I be if I didn't help you move into my own cell?"

I smile up at him, shaking my head. "So what, you're a gentleman now, cowboy?"

Carl smiles down at me, tipping his hat. "Always have been, Mrs. Supergirl." And I follow him out of what once was my cell, but now no longer is, into Carl's cell, which is now half mine.

"I call top bunk!" I say as soon as we step foot into the cell. Carl shakes his head, placing my things on the top bunk.

"Bastard." He jokes. I slide my backpack off, also throwing it onto the top bunk. "This is gonna be fun." Carl mumbles before pulling me closer to him, placing his lips on mine all over again.

I could get lost in this boy, goddamnit. And I wanted to. Forget about everything but him, just for a few hours. Minutes. But... I know that there will always be something to come crashing down on the good.

"ALLY!"

Yep, there it was, right on time.

I pull away from Carl, frantically trying to get the hell out of that cell. "YEAH?" I yell back, Carl following close behind me.

We walk out Carl's- I mean- our cell, to see Carol. She stops running when she sees me and just stares at me with a sympathetic look on her face. My heart drops into my stomach and I think I'm gonna be sick.

"W-what?" I ask, my hands shaking, my face draining of its color.

Please don't be Daryl... Please don't be Daryl... Daryl can't die... Please...

She shakes her head. "I'm sorry."

Shit... Daryl's dead.

"Wh..." But I can barely speak. My lips tremble and I'm shaking so violently that Carl has to hold me up right. "What happened?" I manage, trying to keep the tears in my eyes and not let them all.

Just then I hear loud stomping coming into the corridor. And I look back to see the one and only, Daryl fucking Dixon.

I somehow manage to regain strength in my legs as I run up to him, slapping my arms around him in the biggest hug I've ever given anyone. Daryl bends down to hug me, and sobs into my shoulder. "I'm sorry." He cries.
I let go, looking up at his tear stained face.

"What?" I ask, totally confused. Daryl, you're not dead... why are you sorry?

And it takes me a minute, but I eventually get it.

It's Merle... Merle's dead.

I shake my head, tears filling my eyes all over again. I bit my lip, holding back the tears so I don't cry in front of him. "...How?"

Daryl sniffles, staring up at me. He's squatting down to my height, holding my hands in his. "Walker."

That's my worst nightmare.

I shake my head again, tears falling down my face now because I can't control them. "No..."

"He let Michonne go. To try and kill the Governor. The walkers beat him, before he could escape." Daryl explains, trying to make me understand... but I can't. My brain can't comprehend it. It won't.

"No..." I say again, pulling my arms away from his grip. "Uncle Merle is not dead."

"Ally." Dad says sternly, grabbing my hands again, and I can't do nothing but cry as I look into his eyes. Tears fall down his face, and it makes everything worse. "He was walker. I had to kill him... Merle is dead."

I cry harder, wrapping my arms around Daryl's neck, crying into his shoulder as he cries into mine. "I'm sorry." He whispers.

I shake my head, sniffling. "No... I'm sorry."

Everyone around here hated Merle. And I knew that. They just didn't get a chance to know him. But, Daryl and I knew what he was really like. How much good he could do, even though there were lots of bad...

No one is going to be sorry he died, but us.
And that's okay. Because he was a hero to me.