Stop Blushing, Carl

(Carl POV)

I wake up a little startled at first. I was squeezing a pillow that had drool running down it. I threw the pillow across the cell, wiping my mouth. And then I remember the previous events of the night before.

Ally had fallen asleep in my arms, head on my shoulder. I let her lay there and sleep peacefully, and I just went along with it. Now, she was gone, replaced with my pillow. I sigh, heading for the cell exit before I stop because I hear voices coming from the hall.

"What were you doing in Carl's cell at five in the morning?" The first voice I recognize as Glenn.

"Nothing..." That was obviously Ally's voice. My heart skipped a beat as I listened in on their conversation. "I went in there this morning to see if he knew where my dad was." She lies.

"Yeah, okay." Glenn obviously didn't believe her. I wouldn't have either.

"Let's not mention this to anyone." She quickly says. "Deal?"

Why isn't she telling Glenn the truth? She's making it sound like we did something sexual. Is she embarrassed?

"I don't like it... But, fine. Deal."

"Thank you." She said gratefully.

"Now go get some pants on, Dixon. Rick wants to talk to you." I stumble back at that last sentence. I stop listening and my heart is beating a million miles an hour. I jump into the bed and pretend to sleep as Glenn walks past my cell.

I lay there, staring up at the ceiling, until there is a bright light being shined on my face. I squint my eyes, peering at the sheet. "Hey, Carl." It's dad. "Get ready, okay?"

I nod, today I was going to help my dad with crops... Again...

Dad leaves and I throw on jeans, a flannel and my hat. I leave my cell, heading for the room.

As soon as I walk in, I see Ally sitting at the circle picnic bench, holding Judy in her arms as she feeds her formula. I can't help but stop at the entrance and stare. Ally's hair is draped over shoulder, almost hiding her face. 

She has a dazed look on her face as she stares at Judith. She does that when she's in deep thought, so I know she hasn't noticed me yet. Butterflies dance around in my stomach and my heart picks up speed again. "Carl."

I tear my eyes away from Ally and turn my head to see Beth, standing next to me, staring at me. "Huh?"

"You're staring." She says just quiet enough for only me to hear, acknowledging Ally with Judith.

I feel my face turn a bright red, but I deny it anyways. "What? No..."

"Then why are you blushing?" Beth crosses her arms, smirking at me.

"Am not." I argue.

"Are too!"

Just then Ally looks up at us, snapping out of her day dream. Her long, silky hair falls perfectly over her shoulder. Her beautiful, bright green eyes with little specks of gold mixed in, stare up at me.    

She smiles, exposing her teeth. "Hey, Carl."

"Oh- uh... H-Hey Ally." I stumble over my words, looking down at her. Ally smiles, nodding, before looking back down at Judith.

Beth nudges my rib with her elbow. I look at her and hold my side. "Ow." I mouth.

She raises her eyebrows, an evil smirk resting on her lips. "You're still blushing." She whispers, before walking towards Ally. I bite my lip, taking a deep breath. Ally stands up, giving Judith's bottle to Beth.

Beth goes to wash the bottle as Ally quietly plays with Judy. I find an excuse to walk up to Ally, and that is my baby sister. Ally looks up at me as I approach her. "Hey," I say, she smiles. Her smile makes me smile. I look down at Judith and rub her head with my hand. "Hey, Judy."

"Ah, so now I know where she gets her looks." Ally teases. I look up at her, a smirk on my face.

"Adorable, I know." I wink at her and she rolls her eyes, though smiling. I then suddenly get serious, thinking about last night. I stare into her eyes and she raises a confused eyebrow. "You okay?"

It takes her second to realize what I'm talking about, but I could see the moment it hits her. "Yeah." She nods. "I'm fine... But can I talk to you later?"

I nod. "Of course."

Just then dad walks in and approaches Ally and I. Dad looks down at Judy and smiles. "Hey, Judy." He rubs her head, just as I did. He then turns his attention towards me. "Ready, Carl?"

I nod. Dad nods back, smiling at Ally and placing a hand on her shoulder as he walks past her, the acknowledgment as a thank you. I follow dad, but look at Ally first. "After my shift, we can talk?"

Ally nods. "Sounds like a plan." I nod as well, and can't help but smile. "You get those crops good." She jokes. Dad is at the door, waiting for me.

Dad nods at her, a smile on his face. "Will do." And then we're walking to the outside world, starting yet another long day of crops and cleaning.

~~~
(Still Carl POV)

Later that day, it's Glenn and I in the guard tower. I finally convinced dad to let me go on lookout just for today. Glenn and I sit shoulder to shoulder on fold up chairs, guns in hand.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something." Glenn turns his head to look at me.

I look up at him, using my hand to shield the sun from my eyes. "What's up?"

He hesitates. "What do you think of Ally?"

My face goes red in seconds, my heart sinking into my stomach. "W-What?"

"Come, on. You know what I'm talking about." Glenn says, squinting down at me from the bright sunlight.

Right... He saw Ally walk out of my cell. We really didn't do anything we weren't supposed to, so I don't think Ally wants to tell Glenn about her panic attack, or else she would have told him the truth, instead of keeping it a secret. "We were just talking. I swear! She accidently fell asleep in my cell. That's it! Nothing creepy and/or sexual at all!"

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Good... We don't need miniature Carl's and Ally's running around the prison." Glenn says, looking back out into the field.

"We don't like each other in that way..." I mumble.

"Sure, you don't. And that's why you're blushing." Glenn looks back at me, a smirk on his face.

"Why does everyone say that?!" I throw my hand into the air out of frustration.

"Because it's true man." Glenn laughs. "You like Ally."

I shake my head, looking back into the field, trying to control my blushing  and rapid heartbeat. "Shut up."