Panicking

(Ally POV)

I shot up, almost hitting my head on the top bunk. I was sweating like crazy and my hands began to shake. My breathing was heavy, and it only got heavier as time went on, and soon enough, I was hyperventilating. Tears stung in the back of my eyes and my whole body was shaking violently.

Anxiety built up in my stomach as it twisted and turned. Either I get through his panic attack on my own, or...

I stood up, not really thinking about what I was doing. My legs almost collapsed from under me as goosebumps spread across my arms. Tears streamed down my face and I tried to stay as quiet as possible. 

I bit my lip to keep the sobs in as I stumbled into the cell next to mine. I saw Carl asleep on the bottom bunk, cuddling with his pillow. I almost turned around, to just let him sleep. He didn't need to know about any of my problems, I didn't need to wake him up for something so stupid as a panic attack.

I get through them, it's not like I'm gonna die, or like this is anything new. But, before I could turn to leave, regret my stupid decision of coming into his cell in the first place, he sits up. I wrap my arms around myself, feeling self conscious.

There's only little light coming from the corridors, peeking into Carl's cell. He squints at me before realizing who I am. "Ally?"

I look down at my feet and nod. I turn to leave but he gets up so fast, I don't even have time to move my feet. "Ally, are you okay?" He stands right in front of me, his grip tight on my arm, but not enough to hurt me. "What's wrong?" He whispered, searching my eyes.

My body is still rapidly staking as I look down at my feet and shake my head. "I'm sorry..." I mumble through the tears. "I should g-"

"No, Ally, you're crying. What happened?" He tried to look me in the eye but I turn my head as more tears spill and my body shakes. I'm getting light headed and soon I'm going to have to sit down or I'll pass out.

"Ally," Carl pleaded, pulling me closer to him.

I shake my head again. "I-I'm s-sorry... I sh-shouldn't have come in h-here..." I stumble over my words, trying to hold myself together.

"Ally, you're shaking." He tells me, his voice soft as he keeps it low.

This time I look at him. I stare into his bright blue eyes that are filled with concern and are glossy from sleep. I nod. "I know."

He shakes his head, pulling me into a tight hug. I hesitate at first, not knowing how to react. I don't know if it's my dad being here, or if these are just really nice people, but I seem to have gotten close to them really fast.

I'm usually very cautious and closed off... Why am I like this with him? Why am I letting him hold me as I cry? What changed in me?

I wrap my arms around him as well, not caring anymore. I haven't gotten a hug that was just meant for comfort in a long time. I don't know how long we stood there, but eventually I stopped crying and my body slowed down the shaking. My legs gave out a while ago, but Carl held me up, squeezing me tight.

"Come on," Carl slowly unwraps his arms but never let me fall. He helps me to the bunk bed and I sit with my back to the wall as I bring my legs up to my chest and become a tiny ball. I'm still shaking, just not as bad as before.

"You wanna talk about it?"

I look up at Carl who is sitting right next to me. He keeps his arm wrapped around my back, still trying to comfort me. I shake my head before I hide my face in my knees, squeezing my legs. "I'm sorry..."

"For what?" He asks and I look up at him. There are no more tears left, but I know my eyes are swollen and bloodshot from crying.

"For bugging you in in the middle of the night." I say as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.