Together

(Daryl POV)

Everyone but me(and Merle) has gone to see Ally in the past three days. Hershel told me she doesn't even know I came back. No one wanted(or knew how) to break the news to her, so I guess I'll have to do that part myself.

I then have to tell her about Merle. Her favorite uncle when she was a kid. If only she knew the dumb bastard now...

So, then maybe she'll hate me just a little bit less.

I take a deep breath, slowly walking down the long corridor, my boots stomping against the pavement. I peek into Ally's cell to see her laying on her side, reading a book Glenn got for her on the supply run.

When he found it, everyone stared at him as he was shoving it into his backpack. "What...?" He had asked. "Ally likes to read."

If I wasn't in such a depressed mood, I would have said, "I know." But instead I stayed quiet and silently thanked him.

I move my hair out of my face, because I know she hates when it's covering it, and slowly entered the cell. Ally hears the footsteps, and only looks up with her eyes. And then she's frozen. She stares up at me with wide eyes, her face turning a bright red.

I stare at her, not knowing what to do or say. Beg she'll forgive me? Give her a hug? Tell her how sorry I am?

She then slowly sits up, her face scrunching at how much it hurts just to move. "Ally..." I don't want her to hurt herself, but I don't want to get any closer. I want to give her space.

Ally shakes her head, leaning against her pillow. "Daryl..."

"Look, I-" I begin to explain everything but she cuts me off before I can even apologize.

"I forgive you." Is all she says.

I stare at her, looking at her like she's crazy. "What?"

"I forgive you. For leaving. You don't need to explain yourself."

I shake my head totally confused. "But..."

"Daryl." She stops me again. And then she smiles at me, rolling her eyes. She holds out her hand and I take that as my cue to walk closer to her. I wrap my large hand around hers as I feel the tears well up in my eyes.
I look at Ally's pale face and small, skinny figure. "I'm sorry..." I cry.

She nods. "I know." She then taps the bed with her other hand. "Sit down... I have to tell you something."

And I do, without hesitation, sit down on the bed, facing her. "You have to tell me something?" I smile at her, blinking away my tears.

"Yeah... and it's super important, and it sounds kinda crazy... but I just need you to bare with me, and you can't tell anyone."

I nod, feeling like an actual father for once, at the fact that she has to tell me something and no one else could know. "Okay..."

At first she's silent, so I brace myself. And then all at once she says, "I saw Mom."

And then my heart drops into my stomach. "You... what?"

"In the coma," Ally explains. "I saw Mom."

"Where? How?"

"Daryl... I don't believe in heaven, or an afterlife, or anything like that, but I saw Mom. She came to me and talked to me."

I hesitate, feeling a lump form in my throat. "What did she... what did she say?"

"She told me that I couldn't die... not yet anyway." She says, peering up at me.