Shadow (3 days left)

"This is good dad," I smiled with fresh meat in the jaws of my small mouth, and blood smeared across my snout, "You always get the best hunts."

"Do tell me about it," Thunder chuckled, then leaned in closer, "Think I'd be better than your mother? She was a beast."

"I don't know," I took another deep bite into some Edmontosaurus flesh, "I barely see you actually hunt in person."

"Don't worry," He rubbed muzzle's with my smaller one, "In a year, you'll leave the nest. And you'd be the best hunter out there."

"I'll be the only one who will though dad," I swallowed my meat, but also swallowed in sorrow. I could see the deep depression that shattered in my father's face, and thus recall seeing the scars that fell over my dad, Thunder; a reminder that the world is still a dangerous place for a T-Rex. The past broke us both as I feared. I saw Thunder sigh, and I could tell that he was shuffling through his own memories, like a deck of cards, unable to pick which one that would cure his sorrow.

"Well, yes. But you will survive out there as king of this entire place. You could be more than what you are right now, like a small bundle of joy."

"Thanks dad," I rumbled in my throat. I saw his eyes look at me as he bent down, sinking his own large jaws into the soft meat of the Edmontosaurus carcass, then pull out to release his portion of the fresh-kill. I tried to do the same, but yet my jaws weren't as flexible and large as his. And so, I ended up with a small slice of meat.

"You'll get there soon enough Shadow," Thunder chuckled again, swallowing, then put his foot on the carcass, and pulled out another large piece, and tore it apart to swallow easily.

"I wish mom were here," I huffed, "She'd be happy to see us like this, happy and all."

"I wish so too," Thunder replied, smiling.