Shadow (8 days after)

After my original collision with the Spinosaurus and the Herbivores, I needed some rest and time to think for once. My mind split in different ways.

One which evolved over my own life. If I'd survive.

Another sent me thinking about the other dinosaurs who were unlucky unlike me. I still struggled to see how I survived the impact.

Another made me question how I could cope with being with prey. Cooperating with prey. Would it even last? I had to eat the Spinosaur that the Brontosaur killed, which tasted awful. But it thankfully quenched my hunger for once.

And finally, another split towards my da Thunder. I didn't know his fate yet, or where he was at the time. I just missed him badly. That last split kept me thinking for days, and I felt less hungrier each day his picture is constructed in my mind. But there was another split besides that; my own dream. I recalled seeing my mother. But how? I knew that she died, possibly of old age. I never had a probable experience of what actually happened. But dad seemed to speak the truth. But her words, I couldn't forget.

"Sometimes it hurts to know the truth, doesn't it?" All of those thoughts rambled wildly all around, until last night when I fell asleep. But it only came back when I awoken in the morning. I first, I heard a rumble in my sleep. Then a tremble. Which evolved into a jolting. My eyes flashed open silently as an unknown earthquake commenced right before my very eyes. I was about to throw myself to my feet, but Stella put up her paw, stopping me.

"No need," She chuffed as the earth rocked, "We're not in danger in any way." I felt my body shift hard and gripped the earth in worry as the ground roared like my own kind from within the soil. Some of the other herbivorous dinosaurs awoken to the startling sight, yet followed me and Stella in what we did, stay still. I looked down, noticing the pebbles bounce up and down, and cracks open and close beneath me.

"Why is there so many earthquakes?" I asked as it began to settle down with the bouncing rocks, "Why won't it stop?" Another jolt made her grunt, before she answered back.

"When the impact happened, most of its power went underground," She began, "And some went up. The energy from its strike is sort of like hitting a bell or vibrating material. It keeps going until it is no more." Finally, the earthquake stopped, and dust from the cracks puffed up like snowflakes, only to float back down spreading far and wide from the winds that uplifted all over. Stella stood up and stretched, yet I stayed down. I didn't notice that my claws were still penetrating the earth, and I pulled them out hence after realizing.

"So it just won't stop," I growled, flexing my legs, "That's irritating."

"You got a point," Stella mumbled, sinking her beak into a small patch of greenish leaves, "But it'll eventually stop." A huge explosion suddenly bombarded the skies in the distance, illuminating the world in a basking red and yellow glow. This time, I lifted myself to my aching feet and stared out over the distance. I had more height against Stella, so I could see easier. Since the trees were down and dead, the horizon revealed the sight of a once dormant volcano erupting old fire and rocks from its top. The ground rumbled a bit, but lighter this time, since we were so far away from it, and the sky turned darker from its toxic smoke. I looked back at Stella, seeing her eyes flash from the glow.

"That's incredible.......and very bad," She changed her mind quickly, "I thought those volcanoes were extinct and dead."

"Perhaps the impact has more planned for us," I guessed, "I think I know that by now."

"Maybe all of the volcanoes that were dead are awakening once more," She hypothesised, "The earthquakes could awaken it."

"Couldn't they awaken those giant waves too?" I asked. Stella shivered, spinning around with one left foot up in a thoughtful step.

"Maybe." I saw her walk over cautiously to the other Triceratops, Brontosaurs and Ankylosaur. I followed eagerly wondering, what next? The watering hole nearby was drying up, and turning warmer each day from the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. And the foliage of plants were demising quickly. Stella glanced around, looked at me, then back at the group.

"I think we should start heading off once again," She thundered, "Our food supplies and water supplies are vanishing. We can't stay here forever." The other Triceratops nodded, and the other herbivores stayed silent. Though one Triceratops, the same one from before spoke out. I knew his name by heart now; Pick.

"We can't stay? This has been out safest spot from-" He glared at me, "Well you know!" I shrank back. Of course everything is put upon my shoulders.

"Yes, but places get old and run out of options Pick. We need to find somewhere else to spend the time being."

"The time being-" the male Triceratops looked annoyed at Stella, "We can't lumber on all over the place like this. It isn't healthy. And way too difficult for all of us."

"Would you rather starve to death here or maybe succeed in a second chance elsewhere?" Stella bellowed in a question. The male only looked at her with intensifying thunder, though he had to submit after the thoughts finally cleared up.

"Fine," Pick muttered, "we'll go." He walked past Stella, then purposely bumped me sideways. I stumbled, though I caught myself and growled angrily, showing my teeth.

"Don't make me," I threatened at him. Pick just snorted and walked into the burnt trees, while everyone followed behind. I've improved my confidence over him through the days that happened last time, and we slowly began to get along. Sort of. For the time being.

"You're coming right?" Stella wondered. I nodded.

"I'm still young, so I can't go off on my own, especially now," I stated, "And I need to find my father. I think where you're heading could give me some clues."

"Fair enough," She dipped her frilled skull in acknowledgement. I realized too that I was the first carnivore to join her little masquerade. That's a huge achievement. And possibly the first carnivore that she and her herd didn't murder. That's also important. Stella arranged some of the herd towards the right direction. But some of the other dinosaurs refused to go. Which sent a fearful spark up my spine.

"I won't be able to go through," Timber moaned with a deep voice, sort of like yelling into a hollowed out log..

"What?!" I cried out, "But-"

"I can't," The long-neck shook his head, "I've gone too far for me to walk again. I'm old. I'll slow you down even if I tried." I glanced around the barren environment, then back at the long-neck.

"You sure?"

"Positive," He mummered. I saw his little long-neck, Chelsea, hide behind the father's legs from my own terrifying toothy jaws and large size. She still looked fearful despite the fact that I saved her hide.

"Okay," I dipped my head, "Goodbye then." I grinned once, stood there silently, admiring his massive size in awe, then stomped over, shaking the ground to catch up with the others. That's when I heard his voice again.

"Shadow!" He roared, stopping me dead in my tracks. I spun around to see his small head upon his long neck and spoke,

"I'll never forget what you did to help my daughter," He called, "Never."

"Same to you Timber," I yelled back with a chuckle. I noticed the other ankylosaur laying on his chest, looking at me. And for some reason, he seemed pleased that I existed. With a heavy breath, I walked alongside the Triceratops, hoping that for once, a clearer view of the world would finally open up a sign of life that'll flourish through the world. If the signs were still out there, beyond the oasis.