Lavender (19 days after)

"They're hatching!" Hope squeaked!

"What?"

I popped my eyes open, now fully awake, and lifted upright in the darkness of the morning. Hope, the pterodactyl, was standing on the edge of my nest, hugging herself with her wings. Her brownish scales shone from the weak light of the above, and her heart seemed to soar with pure joy. She seemed rather pleased by the fact that something incredible was about to happen, something that I especially was not prepared for. For days, I've been battling with myself on the future of my life, that is including the eggs that I laid a few days before. Each one was carved out its own unique and special way, each with a symbol that I can recognize and differentiate between one another. I've been battling with myself on being a mother most of the time, and felt deeply unexperienced on how I could change my life for the better, in my chest.

To be honest with myself, I wasn't sure that I was ready for what was going to happen next. What plans life had for me, that I couldn't even correspond or agree with. I was afraid. Afraid of making wrong choices, doing wrong things. I felt for once that I was a liability, and needed to be perfect to overcome this new challenge right before me.

My eyes first looked around at my usual surroundings, watching the waves crash upon the sandy shores of White Cliff Canyon, seeing the darkened sky still thunder and rumble day and night as if it's toxicity would never change in a hundred years. The wind pattern hasn't stopped flowing in its direction and speed, as if it hadn't aged a day. The only change that we could spot was the life of the forest. Without the sun, plants couldn't survive. And without plants, I didn't know if we could either. They were mostly turning colors from green, to red, and blackened brown, then dropped their crunchy and dry leaves to the soil, which in turn was scooped by the wind over the casting of shadows on the sea surface.

My eyes finally rested onto my nest itself, and my heart skipped a beat as they fell upon my owns.

They were cracking.

More importantly, they were hatching.

I never knew that dinosaur eggs could hatch so quickly. Perhaps it was due to the fact that there was no predators on this island. Only us. That's probably why they were hatching. Time was passing by way too quickly. And though I could agree, it was helping to get rid of those clouds above, and the destruction below, but it scared me moreso because a new type of birth was growing; me and Major's own hatchlings.

I scanned the eggs again, sinking my thoughts upon one which had already broken a slim crack in the thick shell of one of my eggs. Hope's eyes flashed as she stared starstruck, unable to move from the petrifying sight of a newborn. I too was a little stuck in my place, knowing that I was going to be a mother already, but that me and Major finally were able to raise our own, even if he wasn't here with me. At least his wonderful legacy will live on inside their souls.

I saw the youngling's claw clip out a bite sized bit of the egg, and its small, beady-like eyes flashed when the world flooded inside its cocoon. Another break cracked the outside of the egg in a perfect spiral, shaking the circular shell. It just went into a painful struggle from there. Another egg began to crack on the side, then another, and the last one too.

"It's like opening presents," Hope grinned, "Except this one will stay with you forever." I saw her family begin to crowd around, Cal floating in from behind after a flight outside the area, returning from his, what appeared to be a 'successful' hunt.

"Yeah..." I shook my head, smiling, "I know." I saw the egg fall to its side, and I lowered my long beak automatically to pull the shell away from his or her head. I gasped.

And there.....she....was.

The first born.

My first youngling.

My heart bursted as I saw it squawk silently, moving around weakly, and tumbling on its side a bit. She had my eyes and violet skin, and her beak was tinted orange a bit. Her wings were wet and flightless, but were spotted purple fading into a blackish tone.

Ava.

That should be her name.

Like a melodious bird of purple and black. A masterpiece of her own.

Then came another one. This one I knew was a boy, and when I saw his body break from its prison shell, I was deeply in love. His wings were black and red, and opened up into an orange tone. Like fire.

Sunspot.

That's a good name Lavender, that's a good name for a Quetzalcoatlus. He looked up at me with wondrous eyes, squawking with a smiling face of happiness. Hope tickled the bottom of his neck with comfort, giggling in the process.

"He's really kind!"

"They're beautiful," Cal grinned, then turned to the next one.

The next was a female too, and she broke out easily, landing on her underside with wide wings and bulging eyes of pure strength and curiosity. Her skin was unlike Sunspot's, and glowed neon. The edge of her wings were black, along with her claws, and a squiggly line separates it from a green, turquoise mixture, up to another squiggly line that faded black. Her neck was also the same color, and her beak went from green, fading into an orange flash.

Like a crystal.

Crystal.

That should be my 3rd newborn's name.

That's when the last one came. My heart surged with pride when I saw the last egg begin to break, and watched with deep curiosity at what may arrive. And surely enough, it was a male. His orange beak came out first, before the rest of his body. He was black and white, and his eyes were white on its outside behind the pupil. The top part of his body was white, and faded to a black, like moonlight. But I didn't want to name him that. His name needed to mean more than his appearance, unlike the others. My first thought went to Major. And I couldn't shake the thought out. It held me tightly, never to let go.

Major Jr.

That's his name.

And that shall always be his name.

Because to me, it means something powerful.

Something unbreakable to all.

And courageous.

Major Jr.

Now I know my lost love may never be lost again.

Never.