Lavender (70 minutes after)

"Major?" I croaked. 

I came to with the sense of fear and wanting. Wanting for a nice beautiful forest with Major helping me to my feet, and my eggs still a-okay. Wanting for a normal, Quetzalcoatlus life, with joy, happiness, and the thought of being bonded forever. But I woke up with the sight of the total opposite of what I imagined. 

All around me, smoke dominated the sky. The forest was ablaze, fires licking each ember and oak tree, and within each lick, they bloomed brighter than the brightest stars and hotter than a summer's day. 

And, of course, my lost love, Major, was gone. 

All of the memories flooded into my brain faster than I could fly, and sour sorrow crept deep into my skin. How much agony must I embrace before I die? 

Suffocating in sadness, visions, and the smoky atmosphere that drowned the forest, I groaned and pushed myself up to my shaky wing claws. My wings, both of them in fact, were still the same. Sort of reminded me of how I and Major built our nest, and how once in awhile, the rainy season would come and dig holes in the sticks. Ignoring to the sight of my wings, I checked my stomach, where my eggs were stored. I knew their birth wouldn't happen in a month from now, but the crash I took from before brought more fear and pain into my heart than it did before the apocalypse started. A bunch of tears were painted all over my flesh and bone and ached greatly. Though I was faced with the thought of death, and the thought of my endangered family, I had to carry on to survive. 

Looking around, I noticed that the sky was almost the same as the cloud that took me and Major out of the sky. The forest from all around was on fire, and not a single living creature moved or existed in my position. Lightning thundered above in a paranormal light of ghost white, illuminating the burning skies with evermore dread. It seemed too quiet besides the fire. But in a flash, that thought would change. 

As I stood there, flexing and struggling to get lift with my tattered wings, the ground began to rumble. 

Another earthquake? 

I began to panic while I stood on my wing claws, and stared closer into the forest. First came a horned dinosaur; a triceratops, which was thundering as fast as it could through the burning forest to who knows where. Then came the rest of the dinosaurs, carnivores, and herbivores, all heading towards me in panic. Triceratops, T-Rex, Troodons, Edmontosaurus, Maiasauras, and so much more.

"Ahh! WAIT!" I cried out, frantically trying to fly up, but the wind just flew through my holes. With a few extra lopsided flaps, I managed to get myself only 5 feet off the ground. Yet it was enough to avoid the first Triceratops that almost impaled me. My feet tapped on the back of the herbivore as I descended from my 5ft float, then dropped like a rock 2 feet above ground level onto my side. 

My stomach and heart lurched simultaneously, and instantly, I covered my body with my right wing, protecting myself and my internal eggs from the claws and rocks that rained down upon my skin. The ground quaked as more and more small and large dinosaurs fled from one direction, and thankfully hopped over me. I still had no clue as to what was happening as the stampede began to slow, but as I stood up onto my wings, I saw the coming attack. 

The dinos weren't running towards something, they were running away. More dinosaurs bumped me as I stood there petrified by an incoming firestorm, roaring through the forest and burning bigger dinosaurs instantly. 

FLY! I thought horribly as I spread my wings in the stampede, FLY LIKE YOU'VE NEVER FLOWN BEFORE! I swung my wings up and down quickly, but it wasn't enough to lift! I kept landing back on solid earth. Another dinosaur bumped into me again, knocking me onto the floor as it panicked. And I could see myself panic too, trembling as I watched the forest firestorm grow ever so closer. Then, I had an idea. 

A crazy idea.

This time, instead of fly from where I was, I should take a running start! Perhaps flying forward could make the wind fly straight across my wing, rather than through the holes. And it was my last option to, for the flames were only a few meters away. With a sense of hope in my trembling heart, I rushed forwards, opened my wings, and jumped. 

I felt the wind sink into my holes, then spread across my wings and around the circles.

It worked! 

Sort of. 

Though I was gliding through the forest, I wasn't getting enough lift! 

I looked back in fear as the firestorm began touching the tip of my green tail, desperate to swallow me whole. Yet, I kept flying as fast as my tattered wings could carry, dodging trees and bushes. But if I kept this up, I would eventually crash into something.

"LIFT!" I screamed to myself. Well, more specifically my wings, "C'mon, lift! I'm not dying today!" In horror, I stared at the firestorm as it slowly began to overcome me, first from my tail, then my arm, until it crept closer to my pointy head. My stomach lurched as I felt pain and heat begin to burn my body with extreme pain.

"No, no, no! Please!" I cried to my wings. As if it obeyed, I felt a brush of northern wind catch me from ahead of me, and yank me upwards into the limbs and leaves of trees, and right up into the sky. A burst of leaves and smoke flew from my body as I escaped the horrifying flames from below, and for the first time, I felt relieved. Looking down from a bird's eye view, I saw the firestorm consume everything, from plants to animals, and in its wake laid a wasteland of bones and burnt plants, stripped of vegetation. 

Lavender, I thought, staring at my holed wings, still miraculously able to fly perfectly fine, we made it. And from there, I carried on, floating silently in the darkened atmosphere in hopes of finding tranquility.