Shadow (29 days after)

Everybody took shelter deep in the heart of a u-shaped-valley within the region, desperate to keep safe from the tremors that deliberately rocked the world that we once knew, now scattered by ruins. The Countdown caves crumbled themselves, which posed an even darker state of mind, and lowered our chances of even understanding how to get out of this hell hole. Ash fell like snow from above, filling our lungs to the brink, choking some of us who did exit the cave. Me and Stella seemed like the only two deeply composed with all this madness, and unreactive to these disasters. But nonetheless, we were scared.

Scared for what may come next.

Finch's condition was worsening by the minute when we first got him into the large cavern beneath a wall of rocks. Since Everett's death, Finch has been mourning over the loss of his friend, yet weeping about his own horrible pains all over his body. In the cave, despite the darkness, I could pick up every detail of the poor Lythronax's scarred body. Bruises and slim cuts ran across his entire body, but his leg looked like someone chewed it several times, then sprinkled a bit of earthly dust as a topping. It was infected for sure, and everytime Thunder tried to ease the pressure, a horrible wail would split his mouth. Enough to make me turn away, disturbed from the sight.

Dad would sometimes reassure him, promising that it would get better, than things would get better. But each time, the Lythronax would reply fatefully with sadness and fear in his heart, asking if it's really a true comment for all of them.

And each time, either dad would hesitate, or change the subject to something more promising, yet still dishonest.

"It's going to be okay," Thunder smiled, dipping his huge head with a toothy shine, "We'll get through this."

Atlas and Feather, well, let's just say I've never seen them so terrified before. Sure they loved each other, which turned up about a week ago, but with their world falling apart, there wasn't enough time. Atlas muttered over and over, "There's still enough time," to Feather as comfort, but it's difficult to even break out of the thoughts of death.

My father was still avoiding me, but not in anger or madness, like scared and saddening recluses. He'd just look straight into my small eyes, open his jaws a bit, then bite back a sob before turning away with a weak stomp in his step.

As if I slipped right out of his life...

Most of my attention mainly went either towards Stella, or the dead-ish Deinonychus. Whiteclaw seemed dead to me the more I looked at his silent body, trapped in an everlasting coma. He looked so calm, like some sleeping beauty out of a fantasy. He never stirred, never complained, never really said a word because I knew he couldn't. But the more and more that I surpassed him, the more anxious I got. How come I was able to return, but not him? Why was he still alive in this case too? Anyone who doesn't eat or drink in over a week should technically be dead.

Stella somehow recovered from the bite wound that sliced her flesh from Everett's hunger, and thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I interpreted it.

The aftershocks continued on and on every few hours in the valley, which felt more like actual earthquakes, spawning out of the ground magically. And through each one, the fear factors rose higher and higher between all of us. For once, I actually believed that the 33rd day would be our end for sure. But from Amberclaw's last words to me, I also had an instinctual doubt that there was another option, another gateway to safety. I wasn't Amberclaw however, I never spent my time near the clock unless I had to think, and when I did, I thought of his brother.

Eventually, as the early sun began to ascend in the world, I felt the need to tell Stella something important.

"I think we should go back to the clock," I said that noon in the baking inferno of ash. Stella almost choked on the dry leaves in her mouth, hacked once, then spat out hard, scared for her life on a small near-death experience. Unless she choked because of what I mainly said.