19. Gone for the good

I stayed quiet ever since we got inside the car.

When Miranda began to serve us muffins, biscuits and glass of blood for them and juice for me, I noticed that Lucifer was eyeing me suspiciously. As if he knew I was hiding some big information from him. Though it is true, I didn't want him to figure it out yet. If knowing that piece of information can harm him, I won't tell him at all. Elizabeth noticed how aloof Miranda was. But she thought we troubled her with our arrival and doubled her work. She already had eight kids to take care of. Miranda smiled and genuinely asked us to come back whenever we wanted something from her. The doors to her house will always be open for us.

As soon as we said our goodbyes and stepped inside the car, I turned to the window and avoided eye contact with Lucifer. Because it was getting tougher and tougher to hide it from him. As if my whole system was screaming at me that what I am doing is wrong. I am supposed to trust him with this because the issue is not mine alone. But then, I'm scared about the consequences. If like Miranda said, the hunters would chase the both of them but not me, I don't want to take any chances with their lives.

He must have been fed up of my strange behavior. He held my hand forcefully turned me towards him.

"What are you hiding?" He asked directly.

"Nothing. My jean pockets are empty" I acted innocent.

"Cut the crap and tell me what you spoke with Miranda in the kitchen. You are lying to me and I know it!"

I glared at him, "What is it a vampire thing to read minds?"

He smirked, "It is a mate thing to feel your mind"

Oh-oh. Yeah. I am his mate.

How can I be so foolish? How can I ever manage to hide anything from him if this is how he would find out anyway? 

He can't read my mind, can he? He can only feel or have this intuition that probably I'm lying. I must be strong enough to evade him from that thought process. I can act normal and  unaware of his accusations until he gives up on questioning me.

"I only spoke about those children and how she handles the house, Lucifer. Why are you being so rude? I told you I'm not hiding anything"

He was clearly unimpressed. However, Elizabeth saved me from the question he was going to throw at me. The car stopped and the both of us looked front.

"Why is there a 'take diversion' board here?" Elizabeth asked.

Lucifer left my hand and bent forward, poking his head between the front seats to see through the wind shield at the yellow sign board on the road.

"I think His Highness has ordered for some road work on that way. Take the other route, Elizabeth"

That did not sound right. Why won't Dexter inform us about such proceedings when he knew we would be heading back on this route? He was specific to tell us to take this route because it is the safest and guarded. Lucifer must give that point a thought. Before I could tell him to reconsider, Elizabeth took the diversion and he was back to investigating me.

"You are lying. Children and house, huh? I know you, Sasha. Tell me, please?"

That 'please' did so many things to make me feel bad and guilty. I felt like I was cheating him and it made me feel miserable. I wished he would let it go and just enjoy the ride back home. We had a very long day after all and we also had to tell Dexter about what happened at Miranda's. We need to save our energies for that. Why was he wasting it on drilling information out of me?

"This place doesn't seem right, Luc" Elizabeth said in a very low voice.

Lucifer looked out through the window.