42. Fire and Storm

Dexter's POV

I knew something was wrong because of the way my mother looked. She didn't seem like the usual.

She looked more vibrant and active. Her eyes were glowing and her cheeks had the healthy pink. Her hair lost those tiny white strands and she looked everything like she had been when father was alive.

"Mom, did someone hurt you?" I asked.

A very foolish question to ask a woman who looks decades younger than what she was hours ago.

"It took you 17 hours to come check on me? What if I died?"

I gulped imagining what she said. She and Lucifer were my responsibility. The thought of losing either of them due to my lack of attentiveness makes me wanna run for the hills. Such a possibility should never come.

"Mother, you need to get out of here! It's dangerous!"

She let out a short chuckle, "Don't you see I'm powerful? They won't be able to hurt me"

I frowned, "What did you do to yourself...how...?"

"How am I so young again? Looks can be deceptive. I was always like this, Dexter. You were too blind to notice"

This was not how I expected things to be. The more I spoke to her, the more I felt unsafe and uncomfortable. There was this touch of taunting and hidden motives in her tone. She didn't sound like my mother though she looked very much like her.

I folded my hands to my chest and said, "Where is my mother? Who are you?"

She came forward towards me and placed her hand on my cheek. She seemed and smelled like my mother but she simply cannot be her!

"How naive, Dexter. You both inherited the foolishness from your father"

I took a step back wishing to maintain more distance from the imposter. While my mind kept wondering where my real mother was, this woman kept throwing me sympathetic glances.

"How unfortunate," she said, "Your father failed to love you as much as he loved money and luxury. Who do you blame?"

She sighed, "I lured him into the world of greed."

The room suddenly felt claustrophobic. The walls seemed to be closing on me though they still stood where they should be.

"The initial plan was to conceive one child and offer him to the Lord. But Lucifer was a mistake. Your father couldn't control his hormones!"

"Mom?" I gulped heavily.

"I know you love me immensely, Dexter. But I never wished to be your mother" she began to pace around, "My loyalty always lied with him. Josh."

Saying that I felt betrayed is an understatement. My own mother is the...enemy. How did I not see through her facade? How did I let her play with my emotions, my brother's and everybody else's emotions?

"I'm a witch by birth." She confessed, "And then Josh changed me himself. You know what a dual like me can do, right?"

Destruction.

People like her are only meant to bring in more depression and lack of conscious in people. One of the reasons that the witches were killed or banished was because of their ability to turn. Once they turn, their power is uncontrollable and lethal.

"I would have killed you the day you were born!" She turned to face me and I noticed her pupils going violet, the color indicating a dual like her.

"I thought if I didn't give birth to an heir, my days in the palace will be over. Josh won't get the updates on the inner secrets"

She knows everything, dammit!