45.1- Joining forces

I for sure did not acquire my mother's good looks. She is the epitome of perfection and beyond. I understand why people admire her as the Goddess of the entire Vampire clan. Her face radiates warmth, secureness and the feel of truth and peace. You can experience all of it with just her eye contact.

"I'm sorry I've been away for so long", my mother apologized, "But everything has a right time."

"Like now?" Carter asked before I could.

My mother smiled pleasantly, "Like now, Mr.Bells"

Carter looked like he'd faint. The kid didn't expect the Goddess to know his name. I don't blame him. My mother is a definite charmer.

"I think this is one of the most controversial family reunions, Arianna" Josh spoke.

He stood up and wiped the grass off of his pants and took few steps forward to stand adjacent to Dylan's almost unconscious body. I doubted if she even noticed that the Goddess is here. It won't be wrong to declare that she was in a bad shape and can't fight anymore. She was breathing but her body was quivering with pain and something more. Something Ican't lay my finger on. 

"You don't have to worry about her" Josh said as he noticed me look at Dylan, "I'm sure she is gearing up to go where her husband went"

Ari moved to take a step towards him, "Or you are gearing up to be where you deserve to be"

Josh smiled seductively at her and said, "That is...in your arms?"

"No." Ari folded her hands to her chest, "Under my feet"

The tiny flicker of pure fear crossed his face and disappeared before anyone could notice. Since I was completely concentrating on him, it did not miss my observation. He knows there is a way to kill him and he is close to meeting his end. All his futile talks are to divert us from our main agenda. But after what he made us go through, after the lives we lost and relations that broke, we hardly have a suitable distraction to keep our minds off of his death.

"Ari...Ari..." He chuckled, "You wouldn't do that to your husband now, will you?"

My mother scoffed. Even that sound came out of a jingle when she was the one producing it.

"It is a shame you call our relationship to be that of a wife and husband. It was my foolishness and your cruelty. You are the reason I ever chose to be Ari from Arianna"

"You simply blame me for all your bad choices"

"NO! Bad choices? That was the best I ever made. Every time a vampire King dies, war is to ensure. Ari awakens. The last time I came out to fight your lot, you killed the king. Now you killed another."

I looked at Dylan out of instinct. She is still on the ground, probably too dazed to register the Goddess's words. 

"The Vampire King is the symbol of unity and strength. No one is an equal to him, not even a Goddess!" Ari took another step forward and this time, Josh stepped back. I was happy he was a foot away from Dylan. If he were to get angry, Dylan will be the first one to take his blow.

"Even you won't be spared!"

And before we could all react, a jet of electric zap hit Josh on his chest. It was not like the bright silver that Dexter gives out. A shade of deep gold which sparkled. Gold is her signature color and I must say it suites he perfectly. And most exciting part is that the wound did not start to heal. The impact of the hit pushed Josh to the ground.

We need to join forces. 

I first thought it was Carter speaking into my head. But when I met her eyes, I knew my mother was using telepathy. We needed to join forces.