21. Believe or Not

It has been three months since the last attack on Dylan. The shadows never came back and Elizabeth assumes that is because I warned them not to. The whole kingdom knew that I completed my transition and somehow that became the topic of interest. There are people who look at me with devotion and the other lot stares at me with hesitation. There are people who fear me too! That was the last thing I expected from life. People can be scared of me too?

The only people whose behaviour did not change after my change are the royal family. Dexter still spoke to me like he had on day one. Elizabeth and Julian do not bow down to me every time I cross paths with them. Delan still plays hide and seek with me as if I were a 4 year old like him. And Lucifer? Yeah, he still loves me and cares for me just as he did all this while.

I carried the tray with the glass of blood and walked towards Dylan's chambers. I insisted that I'll take her meal to her room today. After the last attack, I never got to speak to her properly. Dexter made sure no one approaches her and she gets time to rest. Only Delan and Dexter visited her. Delan was so happy to see his mother awake and not crying. He kept dancing that his mother was not screaming anymore and the monster under her bed was gone. But I was not sure if that departure is forever. Who knows when the shadows will be threatened and when they'd decide to come back.

I knocked on her door. The sound of warm footsteps reached my ears. Thanks to my vampire senses, I could hear almost everything these few months.

"Come in" The Queen said.

I poked my head inside first and saw her stand by the window, looking out. I smiled and entered her room, locking the door behind me. She turned at the sound of the door clicking. She gained a little weight and she was so cute and chubby. Despite her weak appearence and dark circles under the eyes, she was radiant with her baby bump.

Her face lit up as soon as she saw me.

"Sasha.." She smiled widely.

I chuckled. So much happiness seeing a rebel like me? She must be feeling really lonely all alone here inside the boundary of the four walls.

"I thought I'll give you company today!" I told excitedly and passed on the glass of blood to her. It is a longer glass than what the other vampires usually drink. The reason being she is pregnant and she needs more input to stay strong for the baby. Usually, the vampires visit the feeders to get their daily dose of blood. But since the attack at the northern region and the shadow interventions, the blood was being delivered to the royal family and elites. They say it is different to feed from a feeder and a glass. A glass feeding is somehow uncomfortable and undesirable.

"I know you are angry with me, Sasha" Dylan said while she put the glass down on the tray beside me.

"There is no reason for me to be angry. I know you only meant the good." I patted on her hand.

She sighed and sat down beside me slowly, "I shouldn't have hid the truth from you. It would have helped you with the mess"

I shook my head, "I know. But maybe its meant to be like this. Maybe, Ari herself wanted me to find out about my birth through the hunter abduction"

Dylan did not speak. She just stared at me like I said something she did not understand. 

When I nudged her to speak out, she said, "I was not referring to your birth truth"

"Then?" 

"I was talking about Miranda. the truth I hid from you"

"What?" That came out as a whisper.

These days I realized there is no point of shouting or screaming. Because half of this palace reacts like the disasters that happen are a routine. It is either me or Lucifer who have to yell to get our views heard. Others simply sit like they know the world and talk like death is just another natural calamity and nothing to be shocked about. Even Dexter has a cool approach to everything that happens around here. Don't even talk about Aldridge. The smile on his elderly face remains plastered round the clock. I wonder if he smiles even while he is sleeping. Julian is an entirely new specimen. He is least bothered about everything.