27. Bumping into you

Now comes the bigger job. The next level of risk.

I walked confidently walked towards the crew busy doing their own business. The woman in silver stopped overdoing her make up and looked up to see me approach. She frowned looking at me wearing her crew's uniform. When I came to stand before her, she stood up from her chair.

"Who are you, babe? Never seen you before" She said.

I moved a little closer and looked her in the eye. I channeled as much will power as possible and tuned everything into my eyes. I did not let her break the eye contact and when I noticed her frown soften and eyes grow wider I began speaking.

"My name is Jenny and I am one of your crew member. I came here to be your assistant for the night."

After I said that, she blinked her eyes and let out a small 'oh'. She smiled widely at me and clapped her hands in excitement.

"My dear, Jenny!" She squealed, "How kind of you to come all the way here on my insistence"

Few of the crew members' heads turned to look at us. They were staring at me, unaware of why the lady in charge was way too excited to see me. If the compulsion would have gone wrong, I would be scribbling on the walls of some prison in California. The police men started to notice too. But neither of them reacted like they thought it was a big deal.

"This is a big assignment and my make up and look can't go wrong! Jenny will be joining me to take special care of my comfort for the time we will be working here to cover this footage and police statements"

The crew members nodded and began to say their 'hi' and 'hello's to me. They seemed like nice people, open and accepting towards a new teammate. If only my life could be this normal. None of these innocent souls knew they were shaking hands with a possible predator who survives on their blood. Not that I was bad or any of my friends were. It is the kind of accepting nature these people had. Not all of them can have it.

"When are we going to get to work?"

The in-charge sighed and threw a look at the policemen standing a small distance away from us.

"As soon as those men give us permission" 

"Why aren't they?" I asked acting genuinely curious.

"Media coverage will draw unwanted attention-well, that's exactly what they said" 

Another girl of my age with blonde hair and amber eyes joined us, "They clearly want to cover up their irresponsibility. An entire underground empire of mafia, drugs and arm dealers and the police knew nothing about it"

It's not that easy

I wanted to tell her.

But how do I explain to her about the sort of people who fund these underground hubs? They can blow up entire Police headquarters and make it look like suicide. After going to the palace, I learnt even vampire royals are sometimes involved in the funding. Influential heads make sure the fingers are not pointed at them at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if people die in the process. They always play safe.

"Mam," I turned to the in charge, "Why don't you ask them if we could move around and take few pictures at least?"

She looked at them doubtfully, as if she thought they wouldn't allow anyway but she still wanted to do it because of the effect of compulsion.

"They won't allow." The blondie said shaking her head, "We tried. They wouldn't budge."

"Shall we try again?" I asked them.

"You can" The in charge said, "Let's see if they will agree"

Of course, they would. Because my method of asking will be slightly different from theirs.