29. Traitor in disguise

"Shhh...like...shhh..okay!" I paced around the room, throwing frequent glares at the two of them.

How dare they?

How DARE they?

"Don't say anything!" I warned Julian when he opened his mouth.

He narrowed his eyes at me, "I know what 'Shh' means. I was just yawning"

"Even then don't open your mouth" I folded my hands to my chest and continued to glare at them.

I mean...isn't everything clear now? Julian wanted to come with us, volunteered for the mission because he wanted to keep Desiree out of our reach. He made every attempt to slow us down. The one person Luc trusted more than anyone else had been the traitor in disguise. He knew where Desiree was since the beginning.

In fact, he knew who Desiree was even before we knew who she actually is. He had known since years and didnt bother to help us.

"You blackmailed Sienna, didn't you?"

"That is not true. When I realized Sienna knew about us, I asked her to promise me that she wouldn't speak about it to anyone"

I stared at Desiree. The girl who was so scared a minute ago was giving me a fitting reply for accusing her boyfriend. And the accusation is kind of true!

Not boyfriend. Mate.

It is ironic that she wouldn't take a stand for herself but was ready to do anything to make sure Julian is safe. Wouldn't I do the same thing if something were to happen to Lucifer? Wasn't I doing it already?

I hid a lot of crucial information from him because I wanted him to be safe. I didnt think twice before stepping into danger if that means he will remain safe.

"What we end up doing for the people we love" I muttered.

"Yeah"

I lifted my head to look at Julian. He was eyeing Desiree like she was his priced possession, like his world revolved around her and there is no other axis to hold him upright if she is gone. This was so unlike Julian. It was contradicting his usual carefree and arrogant attitude. The alien emotion made him silly yet extremely gorgeous. And the reason for it is Desiree. She wouldn't let go of his hand. She doesnt want to lose him again, I guess. From what I can make out, she had to deal with a lot in life and he had been her support system since the beginning.

"Would you mind telling me how you met?" I asked Desiree this time.

I think I had enough of Julian. I had to know about Desiree.

"I knew him since I was five or six. He was the grandson of the King. Everyone knew the guy who refused to cut his hair"

Julian chuckled and I smiled.

She continued, "No one really liked him because he would never care to address people with respect. My mother used to tell me that children shouldn't be like him and he is only being tolerated because no one wants to offend the king. My mother kind of exaggerates things."

I didn't think she was exaggerating. I never saw Julian speaking without sarcasm until now. It would have been too much for people then to have a kiddo speak like he owns their asses. I can imagine what the royals would have felt like, considering how they think nothing is above them.

Best example for this bitter truth is Evelyn and her dad.

Evelyn?

"You were with Evelyn in between, weren't you?"

"Umm..." Julian shrugged.

Desiree interrupted, "I'll tell you that too..."

"Sure.." I said softly.